Why You Should Take Prom Seriously: My Prom Story

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Looking back on my prom, there were a few things I wish I would’ve done differently. Since PROM SEASON has started, I decided to share my horrors, so you collegiettes can make sure your younger sisters have the night of their lives! I do want to say that despite everything that happened, I had a GREAT TIME at my high school prom, and I would definitely do it again.

• Deciding to go last minute

At the start of senior year, I did not want to go to prom! I was dating this older guy, and I just wanted to hang out with him. I wasn’t into dresses and getting dolled up at the time. So, it was literally 2 months before prom when I finally decided to tell my mom I would go (she was not gonna let me not go to prom, FYI, but I respect her catering to my teenage drama fits lol). Then, we went dress shopping, which happened WEEKS later. I ended up picking a dress that I originally couldn’t even figure out how to get on.

• Trying to bring my boyfriend as a date

My boyfriend at the time was about four or five years older than me (don’t hate the playa, hate the game). Even though he was older than me, he was a BUM, ladies, let me tell you. No job, lived with his parents, didn’t go to college, spent his nights partying and his days sleeping and wandering and had the mind of a child. NOW, don’t judge me. I was a senior in high school and freshly legal, so of course, I am going to be attracted to someone who parties. However, I had a job and was in school with plans to further my education. When it came down to getting money together and paying for a tux, limos and tickets, he kind of bull**** me until the very last possible second. I had already bought a ticket and made plans to take my cousin (who’s more of a brother) anyway, but that seriously pissed me off (Needless to say, our relationship ended not long after I graduated, so go me cause I bossed up!).

• Not getting a makeup artist to do my makeup

I just let my mom put eyeshadow on me, and that was about all the makeup I had on. I usually wear glasses, but I got fancy that day and wore contacts (if you want to count that). By no means did I get my face beat and slayed in the mall or by a local makeup artist. I seriously regret this because looking back, I realize I didn’t get all I could’ve out of that night.

• Picking my weave late (yikes!)

My senior year of high school was the year I made the big chop and cut all my hair off, so it could grow back natural and healthy. My only choice for prom was a weave. Now for my weave wearing ladies… I cut ALL OF MY HAIR OFF, so I couldn’t even get a sew in because there was no hair to braid. I got a lace front wig (insert facepalm emoji), and it looked like it! OMG, looking back on pictures, I want to fight me because I really let my mom (whose hair is so soft she can barely get box braids) convince me that it looked good. GET YOUR SISTERS FRONTALS, LADIES! HELP THEM FINESSE PROM 2017!

• Not getting in shape at all

This is obvious. I wanted to look better. My dress (pictures below) had slits on the sides, and my rolls were showing. I was SO MAD because the local newspaper caught one picture of me that was not the most flattering lmao, I diiiiiied!

In the end, I brought my cousin as my date, and I danced and had a great time. The setup was great, and the food was A1! If I could do it again, I’d just take advantage of the night.

I'm a Communications major at William Paterson University. This is my first semester here as a freshman and I'm new to writing for Her Campus.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"