Career > Money

Why Managing Money is Difficult for College Students!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

College is the time when everyone is figuring out everything about themselves. We’re constantly thinking about who we are, what are we going to do after graduation, are we happy with our major(s), do we want to declare a minor(s), how often should we network, and especially how can we save money while we’re still in college.

As we get older, life becomes more challenging specifically with our finances, and everyone has different financial obstacles. Some college students are working one job, others have two jobs, or even three, which is never easy! I’ve slowly started realizing that we are not only college students but, also people. We were never taught how to save and invest our money, which is very problematic. We all should’ve been taught how to do this because money plays an extremely huge role in our lives. Some of us are constantly paying bills, saving money, and trying to spoil ourselves occasionally.

Shawn Gaffney, a student from William Paterson University, shared about how college life can be hard financially and said when she realized how difficult having money would be.

“My parents didn’t have the greatest economic situation. We’re usually moving around houses and stuff and trying to save money whenever we can. So, I realized early in life I was going to have a hard time.”

She continued by saying at this moment in their life she manages money by just not spending on anything at all, because she’s so afraid the money will disappear suddenly and knows if she knew sooner what money can be used for, this would’ve been helpful.

She shared their thoughts about why college students have a hard time balancing finances, “We’re expected to be like these upper-middle-class people because that’s what on tv shows,” said student Shawn Gaffney. She offered their perspective on money and said how as much as money can be scary, you’ll be ok and there are good people who will help you with what you need.

It is true everyone has their highs and lows with money, we just need to know good things will come because sometimes there are certain things beyond our control. Being positive is the only thing anyone can really do.

Everyone needs to take a look into how they can improve their finances so they won’t have to deal with the burdens later in the future. My best advice to those who aren’t in college yet is to save money when you earn it, spend on essentials, and wait to buy the things you want.

An aspiring journalist with a passion for pop culture but also talks about self-care, and local news. Major in Journalism minor in Psychology. And whenever she's not writing articles or studying she's listening to music or podcasts or watch television.