Whimsy Wednesday: Lipstick Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and I’m sure your feeds are being bombarded with date ideas and girl night pampering to and fro’! When scouring the internet, I found that there are hardly any suggestions for great Valentine’s Day Lippies! Valentine’s Day is really the only holiday based purely on commercialism. I don’t do a big Valentine’s Day because as cliche as it sounds, everyday really should be Valentine’s Day! Show your love for the person you care about: friend, lover, family member, cat, and show it every chance you get. Valentine’s Day may not be big for me personally, but what I like are the looks I get to play with and create. People tend to dally between sugar and spice. Personally I’m all about the sugar, but here are some great lipsticks for date night, girls night or just for you!

1Anastasia Liquid Lipsticks

Move over Mac n’ Cheese; we have a new liquid gold! These liquid lipsticks are pure heaven! They’re smooth and buttery and not drying in the least bit, which can be a bit troublesome with mattifying lippies. These tubes will last your forever too since you retouch your lips… uh, never! For a fiery hot night look I suggest Blood line, or for a classic red, go for American Doll. Now for all my rose color or pink shade fans out there, I highly suggest Sweet Talker or Lovely.

2. Nars Satin or Matte Lip Pencil

As a VIB at Sephora I’m able to receive a birthday gift, and I got a set of Nars samples in their matte and satin lip pencils. Oddly enough, the shades I got were both on the opposite ends of the V-Day spectrum. Rikugien (yes that’s truly the name) and Cruella. Rikugien is definitely a “your lips but better” color, and I’m obsessed! Cruella, on the other hand, is a vibrant and matte red lip color. Be aware, though, that Cruella is super long-lasting!

3. Rimmel Provacalips

These affordable drug store liquid lipsticks are amazing! I won’t promise that it lasts all day (or even the claimed 16 hours), but I do get about an 8 hour wear out of of it without any touch ups. There are a variety of shades, and they even have Valentine’s Day packaging so you know they’re a perfect V-Day lippie! It dries matte, but it’s anything but drying. I suggest this lippie for all my drugstore makeup gals wholeheartedly!

4. Bite Beauty

All fellow vegans out there, I highly suggest Bite Beauty! Not only are they cruelty-free but they offer some vegan products as well! Their lip products are very long-lasting and moisturizing. I admit they’re up there in prices but I’d say the splurge is worth it!

Remember that Valentine’s Day isn’t about the amount of suitors or gifts you receive. It isn’t about the biggest teddy bear of box of chocolates. If you truly want to celebrate this day, remember it is simply a time of love. Love in all its forms, platonic or romantic. Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

Photo source: Courtesy of Ana Valentin on Polyvore.com

Ana Valentin is a freshman at William Paterson with a wrong major in Environmental Science but will be transferring in the spring to Elementary Special Education and English Creative Writing, She has a burning love for all things glitter, beautiful, and fashionable. You'll probably find her in the student cafe sucking down a machiatto. If you do, feel free to say hello. She likes those too.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"