What’s Happening in Ukraine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

In our busy lives it can be hard to imagine that there are things much worse than a smudged manicure or someone not holding the door for us. It is hard for us to imagine that in some places, people cannot even leave their houses safely or voice their opinions without harm. For the people of Ukraine, this is a feeling they know all too well.

The people of Ukraine are protesting their former President, Viktor F. Yanukovych, because of government corruption and his pursuit to connect Russia with Ukraine politically and economically. They have been protesting since November 2013 because the government refused to sign an agreement that would let them become a part of the European Union. The Ukrainian government is continuing to create an alliance with Russia that will completely stop the progress Ukraine has made as an individual country.

Maryna Zagurska, a sophomore at William Paterson University and a native to Ukraine, offered to give insight of how it has affected her life here in the United States. “I came to the USA seven years ago. My parents and my brother still live in the Ukraine, in the small town of Bila Tserkva which is very close to [the Capital] Kiev. So when first riots occurred in the city, my family was instantly affected by it. Every night they would hear gun shots and explosions not far from their house.”

Like any other college student, Zagurska has a large amount of schoolwork, especially as an accounting major, and she also works two jobs to help her family during their financial difficulties in Ukraine.

My life changed since all these events happened in the Ukraine. My mind is out there. I don’t sleep well; I hardly can concentrate in school. I am scared for my family. They are all I have. My heart is aching every time I see the news. I was planning originally to quit my job and get an internship, but in order for me to help them financially, I need a stable income so it looks like I have to keep my job for now, which restricts me from doing a lot of things.”

The media has confirmed that the government’s violent attacks have killed 79 citizens and 13 officers, while 570 citizens and 130 officers have suffered injuries, within three months. Kiev is the capital of Ukraine and host to the major protesting taking place. Russia has moved troops into Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula and is currently trying to force Ukrainian forces to surrender, using violent tactics such as taking over airports and government buildings with firearms and machine guns and putting up Russian flags.

The acting President of Ukraine, Oleksander Turchinov, and the Prime Minister, Arseny Yatseniuk, have stated that Russia’s actions are a “Declaration of War.” Invading the Ukraine violently has sparked major problems with the United Nations, and President Obama is putting the people of Ukraine, as well as their safety and well-being, as a priority. President Obama has warned Russia that they will face “costs” if they continue to move into the country.

Vladimir Putin, President of Russia, is defending his actions because he believes he needs to protect the Russian population in the Crimean Peninsula of Ukraine. But because of this situation, Ukraine is facing uncertainties that could possibly end in another Cold War. As of Sunday, March 2, 2014, Russia has been confirmed as controlling all of the Crimea Peninsula.

As Americans and as an extremely fortunate society, we should take a moment today to let those you care about how important they are to you and how much you love them. Maryna’s final statement was “If I could make a wish, I would wish for my family to be safe and live here with me: happy, safe. This would make me the happiest person in the world.”

Sources:

I am a Business Administration student at William Paterson University, graduating in 2015. I am the Social Media Manager at Her Campus WPUNJ. When I'm not working on my assignments, I'm eating food and seeking adventure. I also love to exercise, travel and  spend time with my dog. I try to always enjoy the little things in life, because to me, they are the big things.Be sure to tweet at me! @lalalexiiiii
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"