Victoria Olmo: Fashionista On The Rise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

ame: Victoria Olmo

Major: English Literature

Current Occupation: Fashion Editor at STYLIGHT, Beauty Director and Style Columnist at Cliché Magazine, Freelance Blogger

Hometown: East Rutherford, NJ

Current Location: Totowa, NJ but regular commuter to Manhattan, NY

Activities on Campus: Writer for Her Campus WPUNJ, PR/Event Manager of WPUNJ boohoo Style Squad, Student Assistant of the English Department

Fun Fact: I’m really into horror books like The Strain series by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro—or anything written by Stephen King

Favorite Quote: Currently: “Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music – the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.” – Henry Miller

If you had the chance to ever meet Victoria here at Willy P there are 3 things you’d notice: Her hair, her smile, her charisma. The girl has some serious talent when it comes to fashion and has the resume to back it up. For all aspiring fashion writers or editors, here’s where you can be after graduation with as much hard work, talent and determination as Victoria.

HC: How’s post-grad life treating you? Has finding a job in your market been easier or harder than expected?

CC: The post-grad life or “adult world” as I like to call it has definitely been a transitional period—still is. I constantly find myself stuck in between young, free spirited adult and full grown adult with loads of responsibilities. I know—they both sound sort of similar, but when you’re  juggling so much and have a jam packed schedule, while still feeling super young at heart (plus getting carded everywhere you go) it’s pretty confusing. Its like am I a certified adult yet or no? Haha. Other than the transition I’ve been soaking everything in. It’s terrifying and exhilarating being out on your own. You’re tossed into this school of fish right after graduation and everything is up to you. When people say the world is at your fingertips they’re right; it seriously is there for you to grasp. After graduation I took a bit of a hiatus to relax from the hustle and bustle of finishing college. I believe it’s a must to tend to yourself first and really give yourself some time, especially after a milestone like completing college. Two months after graduation is when I really started applying to jobs. I used my connections, applied like crazy and scanned job sites every day for anything that peeked my interest. I think it was tough at first finding a position that fit my needs and would allow me to grow. When I did though I made sure to show the company not only who I was, but who I wanted to be too—that I was ready to grow within the business if given the opportunity. I believe that really helped me reign in the right catch.

HC: What’s your favorite part about your job (s)?

CC: Hands down, the creative freedom that I am allowed to have within my writing area. There are obviously rules and codes I have to follow, but other than that the ideas that I come up with for my pieces are entirely up to me. At STYLIGHT we all really work together as a group and growing team. It’s beautiful to be stationed in the city that never sleeps surrounded by people who are just as passionate about what each other does. It is a total smorgasbord for creative drive and inspiration. I can fully express it by saying I inhale so much goodness everyday by being placed in such a wonderful atmosphere.

HC: Any advice for those wanting to enter the magazine editorial industry?

CC: Show them what you got. Seriously. In order to open the doors to the magazine editorial industry you have to work and show everyone and anyone that you can do this. You need to fully believe in yourself and if you don’t, work on your confidence while doing so until you actually do. A writer’s words can show whether they are confident or not, trust me. Your writing will speak for you when you can’tget the words out in real life. So make every word count and remember that whatever you put your name onto you should be proud of. If you’re not, then take it off and start over. Be fully open to growing and enhancing your skills—with that being said it’s an incredible benefit to have friends or mentors within this industry that are open to helping you succeed. Network non-stop, the more people you know, the better. Most importantly, stay true to yourself. There is nothing better than being authentic and it goes without saying that plagiarism and being a copycat are definitely frowned upon within this community. Allow yourself to just be and you’ll really create your own style of writing that is different from anyone else’s.

HC: What do you miss the most about college if anything?

CC: William Paterson University is seriously such a beautiful campus that I honestly just miss the simplicity of actually being there. The morning walks to class then work then class again were quite hectic, but still hold a special place in my heart. All of that rushing that you’re doing now is really preparing you for what you’ll be doing out in the real world except in a bigger form. College is definitely still a blissful time compared to everything else. Take advantage of those naps!

HC: 5 year plan? 

CC: Honestly, I’ve let go of any plans I had near graduation. Nothing in life goes as planned—it’s inevitable. That’s the reality of it. It doesn’t matter what you come across of in life, it’s how you handle it. I focus on everything moment by moment and it has helped me tremendously from stressing or worrying. I’m blessed for the little things and big experiences I have everyday and that is solely enough for me. What I see in 5 years though is for me to continue moving on up in anything that I choose to include myself in. There are no limits

Follow Victoria’s instagram for some great fashion, beauty and lifestyle tips @creativelyvictoria

Ana Valentin is a freshman at William Paterson with a wrong major in Environmental Science but will be transferring in the spring to Elementary Special Education and English Creative Writing, She has a burning love for all things glitter, beautiful, and fashionable. You'll probably find her in the student cafe sucking down a machiatto. If you do, feel free to say hello. She likes those too.
Editor-In-Chief of HCWPUNJ, Junior majoring in Early Childhood Education with TSD and English, a blogger and Disney Princess in Training. You can usually find me in the gym, in my room blogging or at a local coffee shop having a great cup of tea or coffee with my laptop writing away.