Victoria Olmo ’15: Boohoo Style Squad’s Creative Connoisseur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Victoria Olmo

Hometown: East Rutherford, NJ

Major: English Literature

Minor: Fine Art

Year: 2015

Involvement: Her Campus WPUNJ Feature Writer, WPUNJ boohoo Style Squad, English Department Student Assistant, Beauty Director and Style Columnist at Cliché Magazine, Lifestyle Blogger

Fun Fact: Elephants are my absolute favorite animal – you would be able to tell right away if you saw my room; elephants are hiding everywhere!

Favorite Quote: “What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters compared to what lies within us. And when you bring what is within out into the world, miracles happen.” – Henry David Thoreau

Victoria Olmo is a prime example of making the best of your time at WPUNJ. She has lent her talents to many efforts and groups here on campus including Her Campus WPUNJ, the English Department, Cliché Magazine and most recently she has become the PR/Event Manager for WPUNJ Boohoo Style Squad. You can count on Victoria to always deliver quality, but what makes Victoria truly sparkle is her beautiful aesthetic. Victoria also curates her own lifestyle blog where she shares what her heart desires. She produces content as beautiful as her gentle soul. With a rare combination of genuineness, creativity, and ambition, Victoria has let her work speak for itself.

HC: Can you share some details with us about Boohoo as a brand? How did you became a part of the Style Squad, and what does your job description entail?VO: Boohoo is a very versatile site that I believe pairs exceptionally well with the students of William Paterson University. We are all so individually diverse here, and by being so we each have our own creative style – one that can sometimes be hard to show through from the inside out. Boohoo offers an incredible variety of products in hundreds of styles for both men and women that can speak to each one! One day you can feel a little bit boho, while the next you can be more grunge, and the day after simply a college student on their way to class. The brand is all about defining yourself through your style – wearing the clothes and not letting them wear you. I first was notified about the Style Squad through Her Campus – by our very own president of the WPUNJ chapter, Jenna. She informed me that there were applications going through Her Campus to become a part of a Style Squad for the university. I’m a strong believer in going for any opportunity that presents itself that you can do. Go for it! ​I then, of course, didn’t give it a second thought and applied right away. Honestly, I was still shocked and excited when I received the confirmation from them that I was chosen. It gets me every time – I mean come on, they’re a huge retailer based from the UK! That’s just major for me.

My title is the PR/Event manager of the WPUNJ boohoo Style Squad, which requires me to host an event with Her Campus WPUNJ this semester, work with my Social Media/Marketing Manager, Taylor Headrick, build relationships with other campus organizations, and promote the brand. I know – it sounds like a lot! But boohoo is a brand that is extremely helpful and fun to work with due to the social media challenges they host, amazing clothes, and friendly people you meet. It’s such a fashionable and professional step for me to be able to represent them and be an ambassador. The hard work I do for them definitely always pays off. 

HC: As the PR/Event Manager for the WPUNJ Boohoo Style Squad, what do you love about the Boohoo brand?VO: The fact that boohoo is based in the UK is enough to get me to love it full force. Haha! Other than it being British, I absolutely adore the diversity of style and products that Boohoo features on its’ site every single day. It’s a super plus that we have the opportunity to have Boohoo products be shipped to America as well. I mean, come on – who wouldn’t want to rock some killer UK style? Each of the products is exceptionally made as well for its high quality. They have become a top site on my shopping list for fashion essentials!

HC: Considering all of your commitments and duties, do you have any advice for those just starting out? VO: If you want to do something go out there and get your foot into as many doors as possible – success or not. If you want to work at a top magazine from Conde Nast go ahead and work your way up there! If you want to dance go ahead and dance your heart out – showcase your talents! If you want to write go ahead and write and publish it out into the world for others to read! Basically, whatever you want to do, do it and put it out into the world. When people see that what you are doing is authentic and something you love, the opportunities will definitely present themselves. Hard work, commitment, and heart are my three go-to’s for anyone starting out. Show them what you got! The rest will most definitely follow after.

HC: What are your thoughts on campus style here at WPUNJ?VO: Everyone has their own personal style and that is most certainly seen throughout campus. I love the fact that you can express yourself with what you wear and how you wear it. The students of WPUNJ are experts at that and seriously show off some original style through their everyday wear. If you want to know how to look chic and fabulous while heading to class, just take a look around. There is some fashion inspiration walking by that you’ll be surprised to see. Strut your stuff, people!

HC: Why did you decide to attend WPUNJ? VO: The diversity of WPUNJ grabbed me right away. It was the first fact I noticed about it during my open house trip to get to know the school a bit more. I loved how the people that attend WPUNJ all have different backgrounds, yet can relate to one another so fluidly. It’s a beautiful thing – how people from places all over, with different dreams and aspirations can mesh so well. Together I believe we make up such a wonderful school community. We really are powerful when we unite.

HC: What has been your favorite class at WPUNJ, and why? VO: Hands down, Science Fiction and Fantasy – I took that class with Professor Newton of the English Department. I am a bookworm true and through; there is no doubt about that. I read everything, but my reading really broadened itself when I took this class. Often I went for those cliché, romance novels like Pride & Prejudice. I know, typical literature grab. Once I was in Science Fiction and Fantasy though I was met with so many novels that held elements from war and time travel to aliens and the supernatural that I surprisingly fell into right away. Professor Newton allowed me to think deeper about the meaning behind the stories in the books we read, including Joyland by Stephen King and Old Man’s War by John Scalzi. I now understand why there are millions of people obsessed with Stephen King – I have certainly become one of his fans too!

HC: If you were to give your younger-self a piece of advice, what would it be? VO: It definitely would be to focus more on my dreams – any dream, no matter how imaginative or realistic. I believe, so often, that many of us get so caught up in what can finance us the most, provide the most fame, or put our names out there instead of following what is true to our hearts. If you want something, go out there and make it happen. It shouldn’t matter how young you are; do it and make it a commitment. It will all definitely add up and pay off if you show your heart.

HC: Should we be expecting any events in the semester?VO: Mark your calendars for some hot events in November everyone! First up, on November 17th is Her Campus WPUNJ’s 2nd Mr. Her Campus Pageant. Get ready to see some guys flaunt their stuff as they compete to be the top dog. Secondly, on November 25th Her Campus WPUNJ and the WPUNJ boohoo Style Squad are linking up for a stellar fashion show. Start planning your outfits now because there are going to be some stylish outfits showcased then! You can even audition to be one of our models in the runway through our Instagram auditions we are holding – check out the Instagram @wpunjboohoo for more information on that!

Although it’s her last year here Victoria isn’t slowing down anytime soon! Follow the WPUNJ Boohoo Style Squad on instagram @wpunjboohoo, read Victoria’s lifestyle blog on creativelyvictoria.com, and see her work as beauty editor for Cliché Magazine at clichemag.com.

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"