Valentine’s D.I.Y. Gift Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Gather up your sweethearts and get ready for this heart filled holiday; Valentine’s day, that is. With February already started, the holiday is only days ahead of us. Cue the cute merchandise that has been floating around everywhere, themed in everything having to do with love. Of course, we appreciate the adorable teddy bears, beautiful roses, and delicious chocolates these places have to offer, but often it can leave us at a lost as to what to pick or get for our loved ones. Along with that, we can admit that the prices can be a little up there for us cheap college folk.

Instead of buying something that anyone can have this Valentine’s day, get creative and make something from your heart! These easy D.I.Y. ideas will leave your special someone, family member, or whomever with an absolute smile on their face being that you personally made for them. Get ready to spread the love! 

1. Personalized Cards

No need to stop at your local Hallmark to pick up a card when you can make your own equally adorable one! The best part about this is that you can get super creative with what you do. Making your own card for your valentine gives you the ability to both style your card and write whatever you want in it. Cut it into a heart shape, add some glitter, and most important write whatever is in your heart to your valentine.

2. Sweets for Your Sweetheart

One of the advantages of Valentine’s day has to be the sweets! What’s better is that you can easily bake or make some yourself, like these Oreo-inspired heart-shaped cookies. The recipe for it is simple and leaves you with yummy cookies your sweetheart will go crazy for. Check out the recipe and even more for other sweets on Chelsea’s Messy Apron.

3. Candy Jars

Everyone has that one favorite candy they could eat forever. Find out what your valentine’s favorite is and pile it into a mason jar. Then all you need to do is decorate it with some festive ribbon, witty sayings, and a sweet message. Tada! A sweet and easy gift that they can eat. 

4. Dinner In 

This is such a simple way to show your appreciation for your loved ones, especially your family. (Plus, this gives your parents a break from cooking!) You can set up the table in a Valentine’s day theme to present whatever entree of your choice that you have decided to cook for the night. For dessert you could even bake up one of those recipes mentioned above! 

5. Valentine’s Day Poppers 

Why not celebrate this occasion with some fun, cute poppers? These are so easy and quick to make. They’re sure to be a favorite for your younger siblings, cousins, or even your playful S.O.! Check out how to make this original craft right here.

Have a Happy Valentine’s Day, collegiettes! 

Images courtesy of Pinterest, weheartit.com, chelseasmessyapron.com, and atthepicketfence.com.

A senior at William Paterson University with a English Literature major and minor in Fine Art. Victoria believes there is no limit to what you can do in life just as long as you stay positive, motivated and are happy doing so. Her creativity shines through many outlets from her lifestyle blog, articles on Her Campus and being a Beauty Director and Style Columnist at Cliché Magazine. Her success in the digital magazine and blogging world earned her the Best DIY Blogs in March 2014. Anything chocolate flavored, elephant related, and Stephen King distinguished are her absolute favorites. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"