This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

National Women’s History Month: a 31-day period dedicated to the accomplishments women achieved as a whole.

Although this should be celebrated on a daily basis, it is imperative to take the time and honor the Y species. We deserve to be honored for our contributions to society, no matter how big or small. Thus, here are top five influential women leaders:

1. Indra Nooyi

Indra Nooyi is ALL about her business. She is the chairperson and chief executive officer of PepsiCo. She has been ranked among the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women in Forbes and the Fortune List. Nooyi is from Tamil Nadu, India. She received her bachelor’s degree in physics, chemistry and mathematics from Madras Christian College in 1974, and leveraged her education at Indian Institute of Management Calcutta, earning her masters in 1976. In addition, Nooyi obtained her masters in public and private management from Yale School of Management in 1978. Nooyi worked for several companies in India and the United States such as Johnson & Johnson, Boston Consulting Group and Motorola. Nooyi joined Pepsico in 1994 and was named CEO in 2006. According to Bloomberg, PepsiCo’s annual revenues have risen 72% and net profit has more than doubled ever since Nooyi became chief financial officer in 2001. Talk about #GIRLBOSS.

2. Sonia Gandhi

Sonia Gandhi rules in politics– literally. She is the president of the Indian National Congress party and the chairperson of the United Progressive Alliance. Gandhi is from Orbassano, Italy. Her educational background includes studying english at the Bell Educational Trust’s language school in Cambridge. She became involved in politics after the assassination of her mother-in-law and her husband, Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. Gandhi dedicated her life to Indian public life and the INC party ever since. After being re-elected for the fourth time, Gandhi became the longest serving president in the 125-year history of the Congress party. On top of that, Gandhi ranked 21st and 3rd most powerful women in Forbes and was named among 100 Influential People in Time.

3.  Frances Perkins

Before there was a Hillary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice, and Madeleine Albright, it was Frances Perkins who led the line of successful U.S. secretaries. Frances Perkins was the first woman to serve as a cabinet secretary. She was appointed as secretary of labor by Franklin D. Roosevelt. Before her success, Perkins obtained a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and physics from Mount Holyoke College and a masters in political science from Columbia University. Throughout her career, Perkins accomplished various goals. Her contributions include writing the New Deal legislation, helping create several organizations such as Civilian Conservation Corps and She-She-She Camp and drafting the Social Security Act of 1935.

4. Daisy Bates

Daisy Bates was one of the influential leaders in the Civil Rights Movement. She was the co-founder of Arkansas State Press newspaper and served as president of the Arkansas Conference of NAACP branches. Bates was involved in NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), advocating racial integration and equal funding for segregated programs. One of her greatest contributions was guiding nine African-American students, also known as the Little Rock Nine, and enrolling them into Little Rock Central High School, an all-white institution. This moment was the start of school segregation. Based on her accomplishments, Bates was named Woman of the Year by the National Council of Negro Women in 1957 and awarded the congressional gold medal by President Bill Clinton in 1999. Daisy put the POWER in #GirlPower.

5. Ella Baker

Ella Baker was another influential leader in the Civil Rights Movement. She was an editorial assistant at the Negro National News and participated in various organizations. Her educational background includes graduating as class valedictorian from Shaw University in 1927. Baker was deeply involved in NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), SCLC (Southern Christian Leadership Conference), and SNCC (Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee). She held high positions such as director of branches for NAACP and the executive director of SCLC. Baker received numerous awards such as the Candace Award from the National Coalition of 100 Black Women in 1984 and honored on a U.S. postage stamp. Ella Baker was a phenomenal woman.

A college sophomore majoring in Print Journalism and Public Relation who has an undeniable love for fashion/lifestyle blogging, self-care rituals, M & M Peanuts, and practicing self-love daily. 
Samantha is a Junior and the president of Her Campus WPUNJ at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. She prefers the nickname Sam and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Visual Communication. She lives in Central Jersey and lives for the New York Rangers. She loves the outdoors and all things entomology, especially butterflies. When she's not catching up on her favorite Netflix shows she's either working out at the Rec, writing up a spicy new piece for Her Campus, or watching hockey. But most importantly, the way to her heart is some delicious sushi!