Thomas James ’17: The Honest Burglar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Acknowledged as the “Honest Burglar”, Thomas James committed an honest act which garnered national attention. Now a celebrity among his peers and the world, Thomas (who often goes by “Tommy”) still lives by his morals as a freshman wide receiver at William Paterson University of New Jersey.

Hometown: Born and raised in East Orange

Year: 2017

Major: Business

Hobbies: My hobbies are sleeping, working out, Instagram, and going out.  I’m a true party head so you might catch me at a lot parties.

Fun Fact: I’m a very cool person, and I’m all about positivity.

HC: How do you feel about all the media attention your good deed has earned?

TJ: I believe that this good deed is bringing more people to actually honor some normal people who are doing the right thing. Who knew that this would all happen for $6?

HC: What words do you live by?

TJ: The words that I live by are live, love, and learn.

H.C: What is your position on the WPUNJ football team?

TJ: I play wide receiver on the football team.

HC: As a football player, what is the most difficult part of the game?

TJ: Being a football player, the most difficult part of the game is knowing what you want. In other words you may have some teammates who are on the team just to wear a jersey, which means they don’t want it as bad as you do.

HC: What is a regular day as a WPUNJ football player?

TJ: A regular day to me includes a movie, me in bed, getting work done, chill out, and maybe go to a club later at night. Always did it back home, so why change it up if it can keep my grades up?

HC: What do you love most about football?

TJ: Something I love about football is the chemistry between the team; you may not click with everyone but the people you do click with will be a cool thing.

HC: Do you have a special ritual you do before every game?

TJ: Before every game, I say a prayer to myself just to ask The Man for strength and a good game.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

TJ: In five years, I’ll see myself starting up my own company, while directing movies.

HC: Being a college freshman now, what advice would you give to a high school freshman?

TJ: Being a college freshman, I would tell that high school freshman to stay focused and be ready because you never know when your time is coming.

Amanda Jones is a marketing major and a Film Minor. Along with her passion for Do-It-Yourself projects, Amanda runs a her own business selling hand painted sneaker and curated crafts. She is the Visual Branding Manager for Her Campus WPUNJ YouTube Channel and aspires to create short films and music videos in the near future.
Christine is the Co-Founder and former Editor-in-Chief of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus. She graduated summa cum laude in May 2015 with BAs in English Literature and Secondary Education and a minor in Creative Writing. Christine currently lives in Maryland and likes to visit Washington, DC (but a little part of her will always miss New Jersey). She loves to edit and aspires to write the great American novel... eventually. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, hanging out with her husband and corgi puppy, fangirling over Marvel superheroes and Rothy's shoes, and watching Netflix.