Life > High School

The First Female Homecoming King at PCTVS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As high schools are slowly moving back to normal, events are coming back to light. Around the fall season, homecoming takes place and can be an unforgettable experience. This year was definitely an unforgettable experience for the students at Passaic County Technical Institute in Wayne, New Jersey. This year, students Zoe Nelson and Jyckell Perez rightfully won homecoming king and queen not once, but three times! 

So, what’s the problem? The problem is on the day of homecoming, the homecoming court went from a homecoming king and queen to one homecoming queen and three homecoming kings. Zoe Nelson did not end up going to last Friday’s homecoming game, however, Jyckell Perez went to accept the crown.  

The students did not back down and decided to use their voices in a protest held at the high school this recent Monday. The students at the school showed their support by wearing pride flags, masks, etc. In addition, a peaceful protest was held in which Nelson and Perez organized themselves with close friends to fight for Nelson and any other voice from the LGTBQ+ community who was silenced by the administration.  

Students gathered in the auditorium to hear the stories that were anonymously submitted by the high school students and for the girls to say why they gathered overall. In response to this situation, a few administration members spoke up and understood why the students were speaking out, mentioning how proud they were of the students. Principal Antonio Garcia spoke as well after the demonstration provided by students. He apologized for his actions and later on an email was sent out addressing the situation.  

An administration official announced during the peaceful protest on Monday, about the first ever PCTVS Pride Day! Students were thrilled about the announcement yet there is still more to change as students face bullying or harassment every day. Not just at Passaic County Technical Institute, but in other schools worldwide.  

A huge congratulations to Zoe Nelson and Jyckell Perez for rightfully winning Homecoming King and Queen as I wish them nothing but the best! These two females, close friends, and all the students who supported them have created history at Passaic County Technical Institute. These students have the confidence and the voice that cannot be silenced!

hii! My name is Camila and I love to play sports, watch Disney and Marvel Movies, and listen to music! Dogs and dolphins are my favorite animals.