The Eighteen-Year-Old Taking Over the Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

The Fall season brings a lot of major events such as the MTV Video Music Awards, the Met Gala, and the Emmys. Artists have been releasing incredible music, but one artist, in particular, has been changing everybody’s lives for the better, Olivia Rodrigo.   

If you are not familiar with who Olivia Rodrigo may be, where have you been? That of course was a joke as Olivia Rodrigo became an overnight sensation when she released her first song, “Drivers License”. Before the release of the song and eventually her debut album, Sour, she starred in two Disney shows, Bizaardvark and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. Olivia Rodrigo has had an amazing start to her music career as she has been breaking records left and right.   

On September 12th, 2021, the MTV Video Music Awards was held and Olivia Rodrigo was not leaving empty-handed. At only eighteen years, Olivia won Song of the Year, Best New Artist, and Push Performance of the Year. In addition, she performed one of her most powerful and successful songs, “good 4 u”.   

Another event that Olivia Rodrigo was the main conversation topic was her first concert performance at the iHeartRadio Music Festival. The crowd went ballistic as fans were emotional and ecstatic that their inspiration was right in front of their eyes. Although she is a young artist, everybody cannot wait for the near future where she announces a Sour tour.   

This year must have been an emotional rollercoaster for the now global pop star as her life and songs have changed millions and millions of people. Mine included of course, as the Sour vinyl will be played on my record player on loop. Her music career is just beginning and fans cannot wait to see how much she will strive in the future.   

hii! My name is Camila and I love to play sports, watch Disney and Marvel Movies, and listen to music! Dogs and dolphins are my favorite animals.