Samuel L. Jackson’s First Oscar After 150 Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

There may have been much bigger news from this year’s 94th Academy Awards, otherwise known as the Oscars where Will Smith slapped Chris Rock, but on March 27th, 2022 at the age of seventy-three, after 150 movies, and after being known as the highest-grossing actor from time to time, Samuel L. Jackson finally won his first-ever Oscar! 

What a king.  

It’s about time! 

On my social media, I saw a post about his achievement and I just had to write an article about it! Samuel L. Jackson won the Academy Honorary Award that was given to him by his dear friend, Denzel Washington. Washington mentions how far back the two can go and how proud he was for Jackson by mentioning his achievements and what he has been doing in his life.  

When receiving this award, Samuel L. Jackson had a funny yet iconic response,“Thanks to every person who has ever bought a ticket to any movie I was in.”

He went on to thank his friends, fans, and family, out of which his wife and daughter are the strongest critics and fans. When they presented the award itself, it was not televised, but it should have been! The Oscars are pretty strange with their awards and it isn’t the first time an actor has long been overdue an award (Leonardo DiCaprio anyone?). 

Samuel L. Jackson has been in so many iconic movies ranging from Marvel movies, to Pulp Fiction, and even The Incredibles, plus over a hundred movies more! The movie list itself can possibly be its own article in my opinion. A person who has no knowledge of Samuel L. Jackson may have seen a movie with him in it, they just probably didn’t notice.  

After all the movies he has been in, Samuel L. Jackson isn’t stopping anytime soon (that I know of at least). This actor should have won more Oscars for the numbers and numbers of movies he has been in but I am beyond happy he has finally won one. Samuel L. Jackson is not only known for his career as an actor but for his many acts of kindness with his donations to charities. This man overall is a legend.  

hii! My name is Camila and I love to play sports, watch Disney and Marvel Movies, and listen to music! Dogs and dolphins are my favorite animals.