This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

There is a very important yet under-celebrated holiday on February 17th: Random Acts of Kindness Day. 

Last week, HCWPUNJ made sure to celebrate the holiday right. Our chapter got together to write random kind messages on post-its and leave them around campus for unsuspecting patrons to find; it was a simple gesture, but one that might have made someone’s day. That’s what Her Campus is all about: inspiring and influencing the lives of whoever comes across the words we write, and what better day to put that mission into action! 

February 17th shouldn’t be the only time we do random acts of kindness. Any day is a good day to share and receive a kind act! In fact, it could change someone’s life. 

In my day-to-day life, there’s one particular gesture that inspires me to keep on pushing on. On my morning commute to work, there is an older man who runs the same route, at the same time, every day. He runs down a long main road, huffing and puffing, but smiling. As he trots along, focused on getting through his run, he offers an enthusiastic thumbs up to every. single. car. he passes– with a big smile on his face! (And he does it every day, rain or shine). His dedication and consistency in and of itself is inspiring, but he sends a bigger message with his seemingly small gesture. For one he inspires people to keep on going, even if you’re tired, and to do it with a smile on your face. Secondly, at least for me, he inspires me to just be kind and encouraging to others because it could have a real positive effect on their daily life and outlook.  

It’s small acts like this that keep people kind and inspired. I look forward to seeing this runner every morning because it lets me start off my day on the right foot. I’m sure it does the same for others who commute on that same main road, because every single car gives him a big thumbs up right back! His small gesture has created a community of random strangers who encourage one another. Everyone on their commute is rooting for him and he’s rooting for us. It’s a beautiful thing.

So, this one person’s simple act of kindness and encouragement inspires hundreds of other similar acts. That’s what random acts of kindness do: make a positive impact on others. So let’s all learn from Mr. Thumbs-up-jogger-man, and spread a little bit more kindness and encouragement– it could make all the difference in the life of someone you don’t even know!

Isabel Medina