tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter To My Best Friend From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Let me start off by saying thank you. Thank you for being my rock. Thank you for being my ride or die. Thank you for sticking by me through it all. People think of long distance relationships as strictly romantic, but that’s what this is and we’re making it work better than couples do.

I know it’s weird, seeing each other out in the world, making different friends and doing new things without the other. Thinking, “No, she’s my best friend, stop posting pictures with these long meaningful captions, you’ll never have what we have!” And it’s true, no other friendship will compare. Let’s face it, high school was a rough time in our lives. I mean, really rough. And look, you’re still here with me. We’ve seen each other through it all. I don’t think I could ever open up to anyone like I’ve opened up to you. My future husband has some competition if you ask me. No matter where I go in this world, you will always be there with me in some way. 

It amazes me that we can go months without seeing each other and the second we do it’s like no time has even passed. Coming home for break is great because I know the first person I’m going to see (besides my parents of course) will be you, walking through that door, running up to my room, and laying on my bed with me, catching me up on everything I’ve missed. It sucks that I’m missing out on things, and it sucks not having you around all the time.But knowing that you’re going to be there when I need you, whether it’s a 2am phone call, a frantic text, or a spur of the moment visit home because I need a wine and ice cream vent sesh, is comforting to say the least. I miss our late night car rides, blasting music while singing along at the top of our lungs, but the wait just makes it that much better when we’re finally together again.

What I’m really trying to say without being too sappy (because we know my sarcastic attitude can’t handle that) is life wouldn’t be what it is without you. Everyone needs someone like you. Thank you for being my best friend, from beginning to end.

I am currently a junior studying Media Production and Visual Communications at William Paterson University. Coming from a small town, one square mile to be exact, and moving up to this busy North Jersey/city area has been a big change for me, but I'm loving every second of it. Along with HerCampus I'm involved in the TV Club as well as having three on-campus jobs and an off-campus internship. I spend my free time (although there isn't much of it) doing makeup, taking pictures, editing videos, or cuddling with my hedgehog Tuka. New Jersey has been good to me but after school I plan on moving to the west coast and finding out just where I'm meant to be and where I can do what I love.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"