My Disastrous, Dramatic but All Together Amazing Prom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Prom. May 20th, 2011. It may not seem like it was that far away, but a lot has changed in the 6 years since going to prom. There were no promposals. We just asked one another if we wanted to go. I, however, went to prom alone. Of course my friends were going, but they all had dates. I was perfectly fine with going alone because I didn’t want to look back on pictures and have that chance of disliking the person I went with.

I look back on theses pictures, and they just scream 2011! First off, my fake tan is the absolute worst, not to mention such an unhealthy habit that I had in highschool. Next, my dress… I mean, I still love it, but if I wore this out now, everyone would think I was crazy. The high-low style was all the rage, and I figured why not be adventurous with the print! My makeup was done by my lovely sister who tends to have a heavy hand, but it wasnt the worst that I looked. 

Now the fun part of prom… getting in the limo to venture off to the venue… well that was cut short for my friends and I because well the limo caught on FIRE! We were all on our way, excited as ever, and all of a sudden, we smelled a foul scent. Then I noticed smoke, so I was like hey guys, the limo is smoking. When we finally got the limo driver’s attention, he immedietly pulled over to see what was happening. So we all got out of the vehicle except for one because she realized that she was stuck and couldn’t get out. 

My friends and I were laughing because we thought that only stuff like this happens to us. As we were on the side of the road, cars were honking, and we saw other limos go by. We just assumed it was our school.

Being extra, we of course had a whole photoshoot as we waited for the verdict of the limo and our other friend who was still stuck. She eventually got out, and we realized that her dress got caught in a fan under the seat, which caused the smoke and fire. Thankfully, she was ok, and the limo was still able to get us to prom.

Throughout the night we all danced together and had an amazing time, even though it started out dramatic. Our prom theme was “The Real Prom of New Jersey” because we had it at the Brownstone, and my grade was weirdly obsessed with the real housewives. The food was really good, and the night seemed to be going well.

When we left prom, we couldn’t find our limo. The driver had felt so bad about our experience that he went back and got a huge strech Hummer limo free of cost! We were so excited because we had the best limo there when we left, so we looked cool. 

Our last stop for the night was the beautiful NYC! We decided that we wanted to stop by to take pictures, and this picture is worth 1,000 words. For one, a homeless man wanted to join in the fun as well as a beautiful model! We had the best time in the city despite almost leaving a member behind in McDonald’s, and him yelling at us for hours when we didn’t even realize he was missing… oops.

Prom is fun, but the best part for me was prom weekend in Wildwood, NJ. That story though is inapproprite and also great for another time! Looking back, I’m so glad that I am still best friends with these people. We have been through a lot since then, but we have stuck by each other no matter what! I love you guys! I can’t wait until I have kids of my own going to prom, so I can tell them all the embarassing stories that I encountered and wouldn’t trade for the world!

PROM 2011! NO REGRETS! HELLA! WHENTHEWORLDENDS!

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"