Matthew Orso ’16: The Baseball Encyclopedia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Matthew Orso

Hometown: Ramsey, NJ

Major: Print Journalism

Year: Junior

Involvement: I’m the former Editor-in-Chief for the Pioneer Times; I’m currently a staff member because of my busy schedule. Off campus, I co-host a show on Yahoo Sports Radio – Colorado Springs titled Sports Guy Mike Show, and I’m a freelance researcher for MLB Network.

Fun fact: Besides watching baseball, I watch a lot of anime.

Favorite Quote: “Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday’s success or put its failures behind start over again. That’s the way life is, with a new game every day, and that’s the way baseball is!” – Bob Feller, Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher

Matt Orso is not only memorable for his red hair; the young author can recite baseball facts like they’re his own name. Orso is an enthusiast of matters of the sport, but his enthusiasm is taken to the next level when the New York Yankees become the topic at hand. As quite the baseball historian, he shares his knowledge in his writing and on the radio. He has released two books and contributed to many major baseball media outlets throughout his college career, including the MLB Network. His uplifting nature and kind heart are what keep him grounded amongst all the craziness of his responsibilities. What makes Matt our Campus Celebrity for the week is his passion for using his experiences and voice to express to others that they can also live their dreams and make a living out of them. 

HC: Both of your books are focused on sports and showcase your extensive baseball knowledge. What led you to be so passionate about the sport?

MO: My grandfather got me into sports, specifically baseball. I learned all of my facts from him. When I was young I watched my first Yankee games with him, and I got hooked! I’ve watched almost every game since. He’s really how I acquired all my knowledge.

HC: Why did you decide to attend WPUNJ?

MO: I perceived William Paterson as the place that would provide a stable learning environment and allow me to grow as a journalist. And I’m glad I did! I love the communications department; I love the professors and have learned a lot during my time here.

HC: What has been your favorite class here and why?

MO: I’ve loved all the classes I took that were taught by Dr. Lesher, who recently retired. I had her for Journalism, Journalism Field Studies, and Advanced Reporting and News Editing.

HC: How did you manage to get published so young?

MO: My first book, Bonded At The Seams, was published during my senior year in high school. It was mostly my own self-determination that helped me through. I got the concept together and wrote it on my own. My parents were sort of like “Okay, you go ahead and do your thing,” expressing their support, and luckily I ended up having two publishing companies places offers on my book. I went with Tate Publishing, and the rest is history.

HC: Do you have any advice for students who wish to be writers?

MO: Being an author has given me the opportunity to go around and speak to elementary schools of my experience as a writer and about the book. I play games with them, and I try to convey to them that they can achieve anything they hope to do so long as they remain determined. For college students who are serious about writing, I’d say if you want to be a writer start now. You need to be able to show people what you’re writing and that you have experience. Get an internship! I hate to say it but we’re competing against each other, and you should do the best you can to make yourself to stand out. The goal after college is to work, especially in this economy.

HC: Where do you see your self in 10 years?

MO: If I could predict the future, I’d be a millionaire in ten years. But really, I hope to still be following my dreams of being an author and being involved in sports journalism.

Follow the young author on twitter. He invites our readers to join him at a free event on Monday, March 23rd at 7:00pm in Mahwah at their public library. He will give a presentation on baseball history and be selling copies of his book.

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"