Matthew Alston ’15: Professional Sales Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.
Name: Matthew Alston
Hometown: Atco, NJ
Major: Business Management
Year: Senior
Involvement: Vice President of the R.B.I Professional Sales Club
Fun Fact: My right earlobe is bigger than my left, but I don’t let it get me down.
Favorite Quote: “This too shall pass.”​

HC: What inspired you to join the Professional Sales Club?
MA: My first year here I joined a bunch of clubs at WPU.  After a while, I decided that the PSC had the most to offer me, and my focus has been with the club ever since.

HC: What do you love most about being involved in the Professional Sales Club and program?
MA: I love the opportunies that the PSC has provided me.  From the networking events to the skill workshops, I have been able to obtain an internship and interview with companies for employment after college!

HC: Tell us about the speed selling competition you came in 2nd Place for. 
MA: Within the school’s annual R.B.I Sales Competition, they hold a speed selling portion, in which you have to give a pitch to a representative from a real company on why they should hire you in TWO MINUTES.  It was a great experience.  I got second place and a pretty plaque.

HC: I hear that you are flying to Louisiana for a sales competition. How exciting! What is this competition for?
MA: This Wednesday I am leaving for the Louisiana “Bayou Classic.”  Alongside a team of three other students (two of which are active members of the sales club), we are going there to individually compete in a role-play competition in which we have to sell a payroll service to the judges.  Although there are schools from all over the country participating, the first place trophy will be coming home to WPU!

HC: What is your favorite thing about WPUNJ (besides the Professional Sales club!)? 
MA: This is my last semester before I graduate, so I have seen it all as a pioneer.  Looking back at my time here I would have to say my favorite aspect would be the people.  I have met some amazing/crazy/smart students and created some of the best memories with them.  I will have some awesome stories to tell my kids about my time here. 

HC: What do you hope to accomplish within the next year? 
MA: I am going to be one of the top salesmen for whichever company is fortunate enough to have me on their team. 

HC: If you were to give freshmen WPU students advice, what would it be? 
MA: When I moved here as a freshmen I didn’t know anybody at this school.  I ended up meeting so many people by just putting myself out there.  The comfort zone is over-rated.  Take risks.  You will never know what could have happened if you don’t.

Jenna is the Co-Founder, President and Social Media & Events Director of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus.  She is a senior Marketing major with a minor in Public Relations.  In the fall 2014 semester, she interned with In Touch, Life & Style and Closer Weekly at Bauer Publishing in the public relations department.  In the spring 2015 semester, she is interning with Jaguar Land Rover North America in the network development department.  She is the Student Representative for the PR & Marketing Committee of WPUNJ, a MTV Trendspotter for MTV Insights and blogger of collegiate advice.  She is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Lambda Pi Eta honor societies, and will graduate Magna Cum Laude.  Previously, Jenna worked as a Student Ambassador and Tour Coordinator in the Admissions Office at WPUNJ, was a member of the Student Public Relations Association (SPRA) and was a publicity intern for Kim "Kim D" DePaola, owner of POSCHE Boutique in Wayne, NJ, who is featured on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  Jenna's interests include dancing, shopping and hanging out with friends.  She loves everything pink and Britney Spears!