This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Love is known as a universal emotion; however, it is manifested in many ways. Every culture shows and experiences love differently. As well as having different meanings of what love is and how it is expressed.

In the United States, there are many ways people express their love. “I love you” is a popular phrase expressed to their loved ones daily. Not only do we verbally express our love, but our love is also shown through actions. Such as maybe giving a box of chocolates or a dozen red roses, helping someone in need, or giving a hug and kiss.

Although a box of chocolates and red roses are nice, there are many other ways throughout the world and different cultures that people express their love.

In Fiji, Tabua, known as sperm whale teeth, are valuable and are very common in expressing love. Tabua is translated to “Sacred ” in Fijian and is a popular gift when men are asking permission for marriage, as well as seen at weddings, funerals, and births. It may also be given as an apology which some will argue is another act of love.

In South Africa, Zulu love letters are expressed to communicate feelings and messages whether it’s positive or negative. They are made up of colorful beads and patterns as each display a different meaning such as gender, marital status, and can be displayed as a symbol of love and affection.

Lastly, in Budapest, the Széchenyi Chain Bridge is a popular place where people show their love for one another. It is also known as a lovelock bridge where locks with names, initials, and dates are carved on the lock and are placed by couples to seal and promise their everlasting love. This tradition was then adapted in many other countries as you may know like in France, London, Germany, and more.

These are just three of the many places around the world that show how love can be expressed in multiple unique ways.

Hi everyone
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"