Lauren Marvin ’15: New Mexico Meets New Jersey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Lauren Marvin

Year: Junior

Hometown: Edgewood, New Mexico

Major: Communications with a concentration in Multimedia Journalism 

Fun Fact: I have an obsession with office supplies.

Favorite Quote: “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'”     Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

Extra Curricular Activities: I tutor English and Math for high school students back home, a delegate for the Model United Nations Club here at WPUNJ, one of the two lead talents for the News Show with WPTV, and a writer for Her Campus WPUNJ.

HC: What made you want to join the National Exchange Program?

LM: I wanted a change of pace, and I wanted to experience a completely different culture.

HC: What do you love most about WPUNJ?

LM: That’s such a hard decision! I love the beautiful campus with all the trees and deer randomly running around. Also, the journalism department here is phenomenal!

HC: From New Mexico to New Jersey is a big change! What are some of the major differences between New Mexico and New Jersey?

LM: Oh geez! Well for one, it is really a big melting pot. Back home the population is separated into Hispanic, Native American, and White people. Also, traffic here is crazy, but I’m impressed with the NJ transportation system.

HC: You’re such a great asset to Her Campus WPUNJ. Any chance you’re going to bring that back home with you and start your own chapter?

LM: I’ve been thinking about that since the semester started, and I’ve decided that I’m going to give it a try. It’s going to be hard, but it’s a great opportunity that I can’t pass up.

HC: Do you have any hidden talents, and if so, what are they?

LM: I play soccer, and when the right song comes on, I can break out my dance moves. I also enjoy writing!

HC: If I asked you to put an item in a time capsule, what would that item be, and why?

LM: Probably a letter to myself with all my dreams written on it. That way, when I open it later in life I can see if I accomplished everything. 

HC: Where do you hope to see yourself in five years?

LM: Hopefully done with graduate school and on my way to being a foreign correspondent for CNN.

HC: What is your number one thing on your bucket list?

LM: Travel to Africa. 

Megan Galema is a senior at William Paterson University in Wayne, NJ. She is a double major in Print Journalism and Public Relations. She was appointed the development manager and managing editor of Her Campus WPUNJ, where she gets to work hands on with the new members of the chapter. Megan began as a contributing writer since it first launched in March 2013. She also works for Undergraduate Admissions at WPUNJ as the special tour coordinator and writes for The Pioneer Times. Megan is also a contributing writer for an online music magazine, EDGE, that highlights local bands, charity organizations and up and coming photographers.  
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"