Jamal Fields: The Man, The Myth, The Legend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

We are all formed and molded by our environments. And we all are products of the conditions around us. But we always have a choice to be better or worse than our situation. When we work hard to really go for our goals, great, even amazing things can happen.  Your situation does not define you and  this week’s campus celebrity is a prime example of how persistence can lead  to success.

Name: Jamal Fields

Hometown: Camden, New Jersey

Year & Major: Senior majoring in Broadcast Journalism

Involvement: Current Vice President of  SAPB, Current Activities Manager, Former President of BFA, Former Resident Assistant, WPU Mascot Billy the Bear, Parent Orientation Leader, Peer Leader, Technology Consultant, Student. Patrol, Yearbook Photographer and more

Favorite Quote: “Persistence always beats resistance”

Dream Job: TV/Radio Personality, Actor

HC: Why have you been so involved in so many clubs and activities on campus?

JF: I don’t look at college as just going to class and going home. I look at it as this is a stepping stone to begin all your networking, this is your stepping stone to the real world. So as much involvement I can have to make my resume like the best to employers will really help me out in the long run.

HC: What would your TV/Radio show be about?

JF: My show would be about more focused around entertainment news like an Arsenio Hall show, Wendy Williams or even a Queen Latifah show. I also want to help small and local businesses and give them the exposure that they may need.

HC: Describe yourself in 3 words.

JF: Focused, laid back and outgoing.

HC: You’re from Camden, NJ and there is a negative stigma around that area. Many say the area is so bad and that no one from there can amount to anything. What is the hardest thing you’ve had to go through being from where you’re from and what are you doing to overcome that?

JF: I’ve heard so many stories and people are always surprised when I say I’m from Camden. The media will always portray something worse than it is and yes it is bad but being from Camden has made me street smart. Coming to college and being around a college atmosphere has made me book smart. Those two things are major keys to  my success. And all that has made me hungrier to go after what I want because I want to prove people wrong.

After high school Jamal had an opportunity to go to a D1 school and play basketball and ended up not going. He then went to community college and flunked out because of being unfocused and just not being in the right mindset. From there he worked several dead end jobs, living paycheck to paycheck. One day the light bulb went off and a new fire was lit. He was more determined than ever to give his life a second chance and become something better. He applied several universities and was accepted to a school in Texas and William Paterson and he chose William Paterson. He say that William Paterson has given him a second chance at life, when he thought his life was over. He has grown over the years here and made so many connections.

HC: What is your greatest accomplishment since being at William Paterson?

JF: I have a few. I  was one the facilitators of the annual Spring Jam. It helps student release and de-stress before finals.  That’s one of my legacies. I also helped create Backstage Pass, the interview series. I’ve met so many celebrities and even if I don’t make it I can say I sat down with these people. And my third accomplish is the impact and impression I left on the students. People appreciate all my hard work and all the connections I’ve made with faculty and staff are something I’ll cherish for a lifetime.

HC: Who would you like to thank for helping keep you focused ?

JF: I would like to thank Mari Rodriguez, she really pushed me to run for positions and really get involved. I would also like to thank Francisco Diaz and DJ Nix in the Mix. If I wasn’t so involved I would have not done well in school because school isn’t for anyone and being so involved kept me focused.

HC:  Jamal was ______?

JF: Jamal was persistent and outgoing. That’s what I what students to say about me when I’m gone.

You can follow Jamal on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Youtube @mallymsg

19 Bi-racial, bi-lingual WPUNJ Junior Double Major in Financial Planning and Pop Music
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"