This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

The month of February is often a dreaded time for those who don’t have anyone to spend Valentine’s Day with. Even for those with a special someone, the holiday can be stressful and overwhelming. There’s a lot of emphasis put on material gift-giving and grand gestures. Even groups of friends have made Galentine’s Day a huge occasion. So, oftentimes, we forget to show love and appreciation to those closest to us year-round: our family. Perhaps this year you could take some time to show your family– whoever you may consider them to be– just how much you love them. 

Here 5 ideas for how to show your family love this Valentine’s Day.

Words of Affirmation 

Compliment your parents or grandparents. Tell your siblings and/or cousins you like spending time with them. Tell aunts and uncles you miss them. If you don’t have many close family members, you can tell whoever you feel a family bond with that you appreciate them. A few simple words can go a long way.

Perform an Act of Service 

Get up early to make breakfast or wash the dishes. Clean up the home a little or take out the garbage. Do something small that makes the day easier for those around you. They will appreciate the kind gesture. 

Give a Gift 

Valentine’s Day is very much about gift giving. But you don’t need to go overboard. A small stuffed animal, a box of chocolates, or a flower are small feel-good gifts you can give to those you love.

Quality Time 

Perhaps you can all sit down for a family dinner at the table. Another idea could be a family movie or game night. However you choose to spend the night, bonding time is a great way to show your family you care.

Hug Your Loved Ones 

Physical touch is an often overlooked love language when it comes to family. However, this simple embrace is a great way to spread love.

Everyone’s family dynamic is different, but you can still find ways to show those you consider family that you love them. These small acts of love are big ways to show that you are grateful for those around you.

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"