This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

We love chocolate as much as the next person, but we know Valentine’s Day is about more than that. We think Valentine’s Day is about more than just expressing love for your special someone. While it’s always a great day to do something kind for someone, a day dedicated to showing how much you care for others is a perfect opportunity to start the habit. Not sure how to be selfless this Valentine’s Day or any day for that matter? Here are considerate ways that you can show some love this Valentine’s Day.

When it comes to being selfless to others, the recipient gets help, or someone to talk to, or whatever else they might need. A selfless act does much more good than that. It can increase someone’s energy, gratitude, trust in others, and appreciation for life.

Send a Valetine’s Card to Someone in Need 

You can be selfless on Valentine’s Day by sending a Valentine card to your local hospital. You would be amazed how happy a random gift from a stranger can make a person so happy. St. Jude Children’s Hospital allows you to send a virtual Valentine’s Day card to their patients straight from their website at www.stjude.org. You can also look at any local hospital’s webpage, as many of these facilities give instruction on how you can send a gift or card to their patients.

Words of Affirmation

You make others happy by giving some affirmation.  Words of affirmation are one of the ways to best express and experience love. It’s not always easy to find the right words, but it’s worth taking the time out to stop and comment on how someone else enriches your life or the lives of others.  People deserve and need to be reminded of their positive traits not just on Valentine’s Day, but every day!

Pay it Forward

Have you ever considered paying it forward? Yes, when you decide to pay for the order behind you in the drive thru, you’ve paid it forward. Remember that there is an endless number of ways you can respond to one’s kindness by being kind to someone else. Plus, if you’ve seen the movie ‘Pay it Forward’, then you know it means you should do three good deeds for three people. Then those three people do three good deeds, and so on. You could buy someone else’s coffee, give up your place in line at the grocery store, offer some of your time to help someone else. Get creative with your kindness!

Volunteer Work 

Is there really any way to talk about selfless acts without mention of charity work? The best way to show your love for others is by volunteering. Donate your time at a senior center, giving out food or clothes to the homeless. Signing up to help your local animal shelter; these are just a few ways you can volunteer.  Search “places to volunteer” on Google to find a list of local non-profit organizations where you can go.

Give a Unique Gift 

Give a gift that has a unique meaning. Who wouldn’t be thrilled to get flowers and chocolates on Valentine’s day? There is just an extra special element to a gift that is sensitive to your interests and passions. Attuning to what makes people feel loved is key when it comes to being generous. Enjoy spending a little extra time to see that look on their face.

Regardless of how you choose to spend this holiday; try not to assume Valentine’s Day is a holiday just for couples or people who don’t have a special someone to celebrate. Remind yourself (and someone else) that Valentine’s Day is a day for celebrating love, and that it is a wonderful sentiment!

CC