How Living In A Dorm Makes You Grow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As most would know, dorm living can be an adventurous yet, challenging experience. Living on campus provides the opportunity of meeting others, being exposed to different events/clubs, and living on your own. Although dorm living is widely known for its social aspects, there are various lessons you could learn. Here are 3 lessons dorm living can teach you: 

1. Cooperating with others: Let’s face facts–there will be times where you have disagreements with your roommate. Living with others can be difficult but dorming will teach you how to compromise and work towards a resolution that will benefit each other. 

2. Responsibility of Self: You are now responsible for yourself, not your parents or guardian. It is up to you to balance between work, academics, sleep, and your social life. Living on campus allows you to make decisions effectively and help you take full responsibility of your actions. 

3. Stay Organized while Living in Small Spaces: Small spaces are not the easiest to live in, especially when your belongings are big and bulky. However, living in dorms teaches you how to buy mainly what you need and not so much what you “think” you need.

A college sophomore majoring in Print Journalism and Public Relation who has an undeniable love for fashion/lifestyle blogging, self-care rituals, M & M Peanuts, and practicing self-love daily. 
Samantha is a Junior and the president of Her Campus WPUNJ at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. She prefers the nickname Sam and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Visual Communication. She lives in Central Jersey and lives for the New York Rangers. She loves the outdoors and all things entomology, especially butterflies. When she's not catching up on her favorite Netflix shows she's either working out at the Rec, writing up a spicy new piece for Her Campus, or watching hockey. But most importantly, the way to her heart is some delicious sushi!