Style > Fashion

Hot Pink is making a Fashionable Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As the Spring season has finally arrived, styles are coming and going from left to right.

As the weather is getting warmer people are wearing brighter colors, and hot pink will take over this spring and summer.

Hot pink was a color dominated in both fashion and pop culture.

Barbie is one of the most recognizable toys in the world and is notoriously known for wearing all things hot pink, and with Warner Bros. releasing “Barbie” (2023), a live-action film starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling as the iconic duo Barbie and Ken, expect everyone sporting the color.

We also see the color in other iconic films such as Sharpay Evans played by Ashley Tisdale from the High School Musical trilogy. And Elle Woods played by Reese Witherspoon from the Legally Blonde trilogy. And both characters’ literally wore pink from head to toe.

What does hot pink represent in fashion?

“I think the color itself is what makes it stand out. It’s very vibrant and intense but in a way that people make it work,” said Dayana Rojas, Co-Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at William Paterson University.

What makes hot pink stand out from other colors is how this represents power, confidence, femininity, and classiness.

“It’s a trend that’s coming back around, since y2k fashion has been really big again, hot pink is also big because it was the color a lot of hot celebs were wearing, especially Paris Hilton who is a trendsetter. I think it stands out because it’s been cycled through decades like the 60s and 70s and early 2000s, and now it’s back and people are still wearing it,” said Tohfatus Choudhury, student at William Paterson University.

Hollywood legend Marilyn Monroe did wear a hot pink dress in the musical number “Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend” from the film “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes” (1953).

And now we’re seeing more celebrities wearing the color, Ariana Grande has worn hot pink and we see her wearing them in her music videos such as “7 Rings” and “Thank U Next”. Kate Hudson recently wore Giuseppe Zanotti’s hot pink dress at Vanity Fair’s Oscars after-party styled by Sophie Lopez. And Dove Cameron was also rocking a hot pink outfit at “Schmigadoon!” season two photo call event in New York City.

If anything not only is hot pink making a resurgence in fashion. But it’s better than ever.

An aspiring journalist with a passion for pop culture but also talks about self-care, and local news. Major in Journalism minor in Psychology. And whenever she's not writing articles or studying she's listening to music or podcasts or watch television.