Hollywood Heartthrobs Who Suffered for Their Art

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

What does it take to make it in Hollywood? Is it being insanely attractive and talented? Well, most are as talented as they are handsome, but a true actor is revealed when he becomes ready to shed his protective, handsome shell and make some drastic changes to make his role really come alive.

First up: Jared Leto (Kudos for winning your first Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Dallas Buyers Club)

Whether charming us in My So Called Life with his boyish good looks or killing it on stage as the sexy and edgy front man of 30 Seconds to Mars, Jared Leto never fails to disappoint as an entertainer.

Leto (who naturally looks as he does in the center picture) could have worn a fat suit and makeup for his role as John Lennon’s assassinator, Mark David Chapman, in Chapter 27, but instead he gained 67 lbs for the role just to make the character come to life.  For his role as an HIV-positive transgender woman in Dallas Buyer’s Club, he lost 30 lbs.

Second: Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, needless to say, has become one of the most improved actors of the last decade. His famous smirk/smile could make any girl weak at the knees, and overall he is irresistibly adorable.

Gordon-Levitt grew out his hair and beard for the film Hesher, in which he played a directionless stay-at-home pothead. Whether he was walking around shirtless, flaunting his ridiculous tattoos, or running around causing havoc, Levitt embraced all that was Hesher.

Third: Ryan Gosling

This heartthrob needs no introduction, but for those who may not know who he is, this is Ryan Gosling (a.k.a one of the hottest guys to grace the silver screen).

Ever wonder what someone will look like when they are pushing 50 years-old? Well, look no further than the film Blue Valentine. Gosling plays a husband whose once innocent and passionate marriage begins to crumble as obstacles are thrown his way. In this film, Gosling shows off a receded hairline as well as an unshaved face, big gaudy glasses, and a wardrobe that wouldn’t be complete without a dirty tank top and cigarette.

Finally: Robert De Niro

Although a little older, De Niro has proven to be a fantastic actor with many personalities, and believe it or not, he was quite the charmer back in his day! One of the craziest facts though, is that De Niro actually had his teeth altered to look like he spent years in prison for the film Cape Fear. Imagine that, paying someone to make your teeth look bad? And all for one role in one movie? Talk about commitment. 

Photo sources:

Ashley is a senior majoring in print journalism and minoring in public relations. She hopes to one day write for a magazine like Glamour or NYLON or work at a publishing house as an editor . Besides writing, her other passions include: reading, photography, music, and animals. On her spare time, she enjoys hanging out with her best friends and taking long drives.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"