This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Thanksgiving is right at our fingertips, and I know we’re all excited for some delicious home cooked food. Say goodbye to the college café, and bask in the upcoming break where the itis could come quite often. Luckily, we’ve some tricks so you can eat as much as you want without the recurring sleepy vibe afterwards. So before you grab your second, third, or fourth serving of Mom’s famous stuffing, check out these easy suggestions so you can make it all the way to dessert.

1. Smaller Portions = More Room

The expression “less is more” really works well in this scenario. Instead of over-filling your plate with as much as you can, save room. Eating six small portions allows you not to get stuffed up so quickly when eating a plate full of biscuits, mashed potatoes, or any of our other favorites. This way you can avoid the infamous itis and instead enjoy everything your family has worked hard to cook up.

2. Eat with your Mind, Not with your Eyes

Now many of us can say we’re guilty of just taking everything in with our eyes then piling it onto our plates. But pace yourself. You can start off with something small like a salad or some appetizers and work your way up to bigger meal items like mashed potatoes and meat. Your tummy will thank you later.

3.. Take a Break and Communicate

Don’t let the yummy food be such a distraction. Take this time to spend with your family members. Play some games with your younger relatives, and help out with serving the food. Being helpful and catching up with everyone will be much more memorable.

4. Don’t Feel Guilty

Most importantly don’t worry too much about watching every little thing you place on your plate. This holiday is a time to eat with your family and not be so worried about carbs or calories. Just take in the moment, and fill it with laughter. Be grateful for the food your family (or even you) helped cook together.

5. Aftermath: A Few Exercises Never Hurt

When in doubt, work it out. You can always go running, do some little exercises, or even go back on your healthy eating track once everything is done.

Remember to enjoy this little piece of paradise on your break; eat, laugh, and have quality time with your loved ones. Happy Thanksgiving, Her Campus gals!

Photo credit goes to Weheartit.com 

A senior at William Paterson University with a English Literature major and minor in Fine Art. Victoria believes there is no limit to what you can do in life just as long as you stay positive, motivated and are happy doing so. Her creativity shines through many outlets from her lifestyle blog, articles on Her Campus and being a Beauty Director and Style Columnist at Cliché Magazine. Her success in the digital magazine and blogging world earned her the Best DIY Blogs in March 2014. Anything chocolate flavored, elephant related, and Stephen King distinguished are her absolute favorites. 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"