This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Hometown: Closter, NJ

Year: Transfer / Sophomore

Major: Financial Planning

Hobbies: Hockey, Reading

Fun Fact: I can play piano by ear.

HC: How did you first get into being a goalie?

GS: I used to watch the games, but my dad was the one that really led me into it. He played street hockey and never played ice hockey so I wanted to. I got into being a goalie because it was something new and adventurous I wanted to do. My mom wanted me to do it, but my dad feared me getting hurt. It was funny how it started out, but I’ve been loving it everyday.

HC: What do you like most about hockey?

GS: The social skills build into new friendships, and that’s key. There are kids I started playing with when I was younger that I still play with 15 years later. And the work ethic is at 100%.

HC: WPU Ice Hockey has had how many championships in the past few years?

GS: 4 championships in 4 years.

HC: What is the score for the WPU Ice Hockey team for the season so far?

GS: 4-1 (William Paterson fell 3-2 to Rider)

HC: What is the WPU Ice Hockey team like together? 

GS: We’re always with each other. We’re really close and one big family, and from what I’ve heard, this is the closest the team has ever been. We haven’t even been together for a month and we all have each other’s numbers and are really close.

HC: Whom do you idolize most in the NHL?

GS: As far as players go, Jonathan Quick (LA Kings) and Mark Andre Fleury (Penguins). But I don’t have a favorite team, I watch all the games. If I had to pick one, I’d say Pittsburg Penguins.

HC: How many saves this season so far?

GS: Out of 63 shots I’ve had 60 saves, but it’ll get better.

HC: Why did you want to do something for a fan once you reached 300/333 twitter followers?

GS: My hockey number is #33 so I figured I’d do something for it. When I was growing up, I had professional players that I looked up to, and I thought if they gave something away it’d mean a lot. After the Kutztown win, I gave the stick away when I reached the 300 followers, and I saw the expression on the kid I gave it to. It was rewarding to see the kid’s expression regardless of thinking about how much the stick was; I knew it was just the right thing to do.

HC: Do you want your passion for hockey to lead you into the NHL or a bigger league?

GS: Yeah, the NHL is farfetched, but it’s one of those sports I can’t walk away from. It’s the one sport I want to play for as long as I can, wherever I can. I played other sports that I was able to walk away from but never hockey… as long as my body doesn’t give up on me.

HC: Do you have any advice for those younger hockey players just starting off?

GS: Don’t ever give up on yourself. Everyone’s made for great things, and you never know until you push yourself. ‘You never know who’s watching.’ I was always told that growing up. You can have a coach or scout out there that can lead you to bigger places, and my mom always told me that; things happen. 

Nonny Muss is a placeholder name for articles written by HC WPUNJ staff writers. If we're crediting Nonny, it means that the real author hasn't yet made an account on the site. Sorry, Nonny, but you don't get any of the credit.
Christine is the Co-Founder and former Editor-in-Chief of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus. She graduated summa cum laude in May 2015 with BAs in English Literature and Secondary Education and a minor in Creative Writing. Christine currently lives in Maryland and likes to visit Washington, DC (but a little part of her will always miss New Jersey). She loves to edit and aspires to write the great American novel... eventually. In her free time, she enjoys reading, writing, hanging out with her husband and corgi puppy, fangirling over Marvel superheroes and Rothy's shoes, and watching Netflix.