Four Fall Fashion Trends You’ve Been Too Scared To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Don’t let this fall be the same as every other! It’s a new year and a new you, so what’s stopping you from trying something new?! Let your personality shine through your outfits this season with these four fall favorites that you’ve always wanted to try but just haven’t found the right time.

Duster Coats

Duster coats, similar to trench coats, are definitely in this fall, but the length seems to scare some people away. Some people think they’ll make them look short or bulky, but I’m here to help you throw that mindset out the window. Duster coats are perfect for this fall because you can wear them with anything. Want to wear a dress but you’re worried about being cold? Or what about wanting to wear a skirt on a windy day? Duster coats keep the wind and chill at ease so you can rock whatever, whenever. And hey, if Kim K could rock them through two pregnancies, what are you afraid of?

This duster is inexpensive while still giving the illusion that you blew the bank on it. Sleek and chic with only a few buttons to keep its minimalistic style. It only comes in neutrals, but that makes it the perfect go-to jacket.

Get it here from Forever 21!

If you’re looking for something more fun and flirty, look no further. This duster comes in a number of different colors and has a simple tie belt across the waist. This coat is inexpensive while not sacrificing any style.

Get it here from Boohoo!

A little higher up in price, unless you catch it on sale, this duster has a more cozy feel with its cardigan-style look and texture. Three simple buttons down the center allow you to dress this up or down. It only comes in cream, but who needs anything else when this will match it all?!

Get it here from Asos!

High Boots

Everyone knows that boots are a fall favorite, but when it comes to the height we can never be too sure. How high is too high? Is there even such a thing as too high? Well, yeah, in some cases there are, but don’t worry, I’ll keep you away from Pretty Woman territory. Here are some sky-high boots that will make your legs look amazing, you just have to give them the chance. Pair them with a long sleeve sweater dress, patterned skirt, or your tightest pair of skinny jeans. You could even pair them with that duster jacket to make the outfit more seasonally appropriate if you’re having a shy day.

These vintage style boots may be a little out there for some people, but trust me you can pull it off. They’re high fashion and just plain adorable. Pair them with a dress for a more retro look, or throw on some faded jeans to make the boots pop. These are good quality shoes so you’ll definitely get your money’s worth.

Get it here from Nordstrom!

As if thigh highs weren’t already daring enough, how about adding some fringe too! These boots come in Chestnut and Black, the two essentials, and can easily be dressed up or down.

Get it here fom Heels.com!

If you’re a fan of combat boots, these knee high boots are for you. Combat boots are great, but they can sometimes be limiting. These boots play off of that style, but give you the height you’ve been looking for. You can still wear them with long pants, but now you can also wear them with shorts, skirts, or dresses without worrying about them cutting off your legs in a weird place. Coming in black or brown, at under $40, these boots are a must have.

Get it here from LolliCouture!

Handbags that POP

I know we’re all guilty of going straight for the neutrals when it comes to handbags, but it’s time to break out of that habit. It’s always, “It won’t match everything” or “I don’t have shoes to go with it,” well, here’s your reason for a shopping spree!

Everyone loves Michael Kors, with it’s sleek and elegant look that goes with everything, but unfortunately not all of us can afford it. Here’s a bag that looks  similar to a Michael Kors style, without maxing out your credit card. Getting a bag this color will make you stand out from the rest while still keeping you in line with fall fashion.

Get it here from Handbag Heaven!

Green is a great go-to color because it can float through the seasons without question. It’s a perfect fall piece, but it will also look good in the spring; you just have to do it the right way. This bag is a nice solid green, not too bright while not being too olive. The simple design makes it easy to wear while still being a little daring.

Get it here from Macys!

Now this last bag may not be daring in color, but it’ll definitely be a conversation starter. This bag is absolutely adorable and perfect for October. Plus, who isn’t a sucker for cute baby animals?

Get it here from ModCloth!

Fedora Hats

The word “fedora” may be scary to some, we’ve only ever heard bad things about them, but I’m here to change that. Fedora hats are in, there’s no doubt about it. Although they all have somewhat the same look and feel, they are all also very different. There’s a style out there for everyone, even if you’ve never really been a hat person. Trust me, this will quickly become your staple piece.

If you’re scared of the fedora look, this hat is a good starter for you. It’s slouchy so it doesn’t have such a typical “fedora” style. The brim can be styled how you want, or you could just let it flow wherever the wind blows it. The medallions add some shine and keep this hat far from boring.

Get it here from Forever 21!

With this basic hat you’ll be anything but. Coming in at the perfect size, not too big or too small, this hat is everything you need. The small chain keeps it stylish but simple enough to wear with any outfit. It also comes in multiple different colors so there’s something for everyone!

Get it here from Nordstrom!

More of a floppy hat than a fedora, this one is still a must have. It’s a simple color but the braided band and feathers add style and flair. The feathers dangle off the hat to bring a new element to your outfit and make it much different than any other hat.

Get it here from American Eagle! 

Now that you’ve gone and filled up your online shopping cart, you’re ready to go out and be the trendsetter you’ve always wanted to be! 

I am currently a junior studying Media Production and Visual Communications at William Paterson University. Coming from a small town, one square mile to be exact, and moving up to this busy North Jersey/city area has been a big change for me, but I'm loving every second of it. Along with HerCampus I'm involved in the TV Club as well as having three on-campus jobs and an off-campus internship. I spend my free time (although there isn't much of it) doing makeup, taking pictures, editing videos, or cuddling with my hedgehog Tuka. New Jersey has been good to me but after school I plan on moving to the west coast and finding out just where I'm meant to be and where I can do what I love.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"