This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

My first and only relationship lasted 9 months, it was emotionally and mentally draining. Now a year later, I am continuing to heal. Here are 5 things that I want to share with you that I have learned about life, love, and myself.

Time Heals 

Having time and space away from your ex will allow you to finally see all of the red flags you ignored because love is blinding. It doesn’t seem like it early on, but you are honestly better off without them.You won’t be sad forever, your broken heart will repair itself. 

Healing is not linear 

It is okay to miss them from a distance. You are allowed to revel in the good moments you shared. According to psychology, love is like an addiction, so relapses are bound to occur. This does not discredit your journey. Keep going.

Remember to stay true to yourself when in a relationship 

It’s easy to get so caught up with your significant other and lose yourself. Remember that you are your own individual with your own interests, hobbies, dreams and aspirations. Remember your self worth and your self confidence. Don’t let anyone change who you are. 

You can still want your ex to be happy 

Even when a relationship does not end on the best of terms, that does not mean that you cannot wish them well and want the best for them, even if that doesn’t include you in the picture.

It is possible to date again and move on 

The idea of opening yourself up to someone new may seem terrifying, but it can also be freeing. Your person is out there and will be ready to catch you when you fall and it will feel easy. 

Becca Gilliland is a senior studying psychology with minors in criminology and sociology. She is a campus correspondent for the university's chapter.