Films That You Should Watch This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

One of the many simple pleasures that we enjoy as humans is sitting down and watching a movie. Whether you have it on in the background while doing chores, or you’ve dedicated a day out of the week to enjoy a film unbothered, there is basically a movie out there for your specific preferences.  This article will be detailing some hand-picked movies to watch this spring break that have personally left an impact on myself, as well as others who have seen these films.

1. Midsommar

For those who are familiar with the movie, I’d imagine that just the name of the movie itself is already triggering strong emotions and memories associated with your first-time viewing it. Midsommar is easily one of my top favorite horror movies, as almost none of it is shown in the typical dark, dreary, paranormal setting that most are directed as, but instead, in broad daylight.

To those who have not seen the film; I will preface this paragraph by saying that it is NOT for the faint of heart, as there are sensitive topics and visuals covered throughout the entire film. I advise that you watch the trailer, as well as some spoiler-free reviews such as this, as well as this one first if you’re still going to watch it regardless. Directed by Ari Aster, who has directed the more popular and scarier film, Hereditary.

It dives into Dani’s life, her experiences in Sweden, and her many struggles with grief and a rocky relationship. Ari does not shy away with explicit depictions of life and death in this film, as Dani (main character played by Florence Pugh) has portrayed one of the most accurate feelings and representations of grief as a result.  Without saying too much, Dani finds herself in a situation that very few people would say they have experienced, all while navigating her very fresh emotions of suddenly losing those very close to her.

For those who enjoy watching films for easter eggs and subtlety in imagery, this movie is laden with them as I can guarantee you will not be able to catch watching the first time around.

2. Parasite

The second movie on this list would be none other than Bong Joon Ho’s, Parasite. Bong Joon Ho has also been known for creating other films such as Mother! (a fantastic film), as well as Okja.

Released in 2019, this thriller movie dives into the stark economic difference of two families. The Kim family, based in basement-like living quarters, are presented with the opportunity of a lifetime, working with the wealthy Park family. How each member of the Kim family actually acquires these jobs may be up for debate, as the idea of ethics does end up playing an integral role in this film.

Definitely not nearly as graphic as Ari Aster’s, Midsommar. There is still a worthwhile warning to be said for those who cannot stomach any sort of violence whatsoever, a trailer or review can be found here. Parasite offers a look into the lives of each family and how it has been conducted thus far.

Both families become more relatable to one another as they eventually discover some of the issues that both of them face, making the film more compelling to watch. Filled with symbolism, this movie is definitely something you have to see at some point if not now!

3.The Truman Show

Ending on a more lighthearted note, while still carrying a meaningful plot is Peter Weir’s, The Truman Show. Following Jim Carry’s character (literally) Truman Burbank, we essentially see the inner workings of Truman’s life, as well as those around him in the quaint town that they all live in.

Little does Truman know, he is actually the star of the entire movie, and everyone around him is in on the fact that they have to act as if they are just living out their lives, when in reality, their lives revolve around Truman. What follows this concept is now in your hands, if you choose to watch it. If you do, take the time to notice the little easter eggs that are placed for Truman to see, to subconsciously keep him from traveling outside the T.V. casting set that is his life. 

While I could go on about all the movies that I’ve seen in my lifetime we would be here awhile. Making this brief list of films to see serves its purpose as an introduction into just how diverse and impactful movies can have on an individual. The kinds of movies that leave you with a ‘wow’ feeling after leaving the theater are like no other.

Without further ado, take this list with you and have an amazing spring break!

Sama Jaber

WPUNJ '24

Hi my name is Sama! I'm a sophomore at WillyP, a psych major, and a social justice minor. I'm excited to participate as a new member of HerCampus WPUNJ!