ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Festival Season is Upon Us: A Guide to Summer Music Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Week after week, we’ve got another musical festival lineup being announced — one right after the other. The style blogs are all sharing their tips on being festival ready. With spring semester rapidly coming to an end, all your friends are making their summer plans and can’t wait to go see their favorite artists live. We would love to be able to go to all of them, but honestly a collegiette’s bank account can only withstand so much. With so many choices and so many factors on choosing which music events to attend, it can be kind of confusing narrowing down to the ones where you’ll have the best time.

WPUNJ happens to be one of the top universities for music in the country, so naturally we are here to help you make your decision. The key is to do your research, each festival or musical event has its own characteristics. They are not all created equally. Some have two weekends; are focused on a certain genre; some are in the desert (à la Coachella), and while making sure you enjoy the music is a top priority, making sure every facet of your experience is enjoyable can make or break your summer. Here are some of the best musical happenings of the East coast.

1.     Counterpoint – If you like the soul and rawness of hip-hop and R&B while also digging some of electronic dance music’s finest, then Counterpoint has the lineup for you. With headliners such as Outkast (Frankly what major festival isn’t being headlined by Outkast this year?), Krewella, J. Cole, Foster the People, Janelle Monae, and Major Lazer, this festival is sure to deliver on great performances. Not only will the music be good, but if you can travel down to the “Peach State” for the festival you will be immersed into the culture of the SouthEast. Not only does the festival showcase music but there will also be plenty of visual art to observe, yoga workshops, and games to play. The festival is also passionate about being eco-friendly; they’ve taken steps to go green by creating their own solar powered charger for the festival and sharing their green goal on their website. GA passes are selling for $90 a day, and there’s also the option of a $205 3-day GA pass. More info on tickets and other details can be found on the Counterpoint website.

Camping/Glamping: Yes

2.     The Governors Ball – If you’ve been on the internet at all this year you’ve more than likely at least seen the headliners for this year’s Gov Ball (We’ve got youtube ads to thank for that), but if you haven’t, allow me to inform you — Outkast (duh), Vampire Weekend, Jack White, Phoenix, Skrillex, Childish Gambino, Grimes, and way, way more. It is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, music festivals in NYC. Now that you’re up to date, if you haven’t opened up a new tab to buy tickets already but are contemplating if you should make your way to Randall’s Island, let me continue to enlighten you on the awesomeness of this festival. There will be plenty of cool activities, such as lawn games, face and body painting, art installations, and not only do they have a photo booth but also a GIF booth — capture your memories in motion! Admission ranges anywhere from $100 GA 1-day to $2000 Super VIP 3-day, and remember to budget for the shuttle or ferry to the island.

Camping/Glamping: No.

3.     Firefly – If you’ve ever dreamt of becoming essentially a modern day Snow White — in other words, of whimsical forests and great music — then Firefly will be the festival for you. It’s a relatively new festival but it surely is making its way to being one of the best in the country. Headliners Outkast (I know, I know) are joined by Foo Fighters and Jack Johnson and a number of other performers including Imagine Dragons, Arctic Monkeys, Weezer, Young the Giant, Tegan and Sara, Cash Cash, Phantogram, and The Lumineers (Jeremiah went to WPUNJ!). It has its advantages to set your festival on 154 acres; Firefly has some pretty awesome activities. They’ve got a hammock hangout, a silent disco, a Style Your Toms station, a fresh produce market, a retro arcade, and new attractions for 2014. The only GA option left is the regular 4-day pass at $299, but they do offer a payment plan. VIP options are also available.

Camping/Glamping: Yes (but glamping has sold out)!

4.     The Hudson Project – Only in its first year, this festival is already so promising. The festival being graced by the talents of Kendrick Lamar, Bassnectar, Moby, Capital Cities, ZZ Ward (one of my favorite people to see live), and a ton of other artists. It is being held on the same gorgeous farm that Woodstock 1994 was held. They’ve got 4 stages and an additional 5th live performance space, along with carnival rides, art installations, and a game center. The festival highlights its proximity to the Metropolitan hub of NYC, yet its 800 acres gives the festival a secluded getaway from the hustle and bustle of the concrete jungle. Tickets only come in 3-day passes, currently going for $199 for GA admission, $449 for VIP admission, and $749 for Platinum VIP admission. 

Camping/Glamping: Yes (but they insist this is optional and provide shuttles as well). 

These next events are happening on our very own campus. No need to go far for good music… 

5.     Braveathon – WPUNJ’s very own music marathon has returned yet again! And although Outkast is not headlining, they’ve got a lineup of awesome local bands to play. The event is this Friday April 11th, starting at 9 am and ending on April 12th at midnight at the Brave New Radio station in Hobart Hall. Bands include Pescadora, Ashes to Rain, Semiotics, Rosegold, and 11 others. There is no charge to attend, but donations are encouraged.

6.     Spring Jam – The other big musical event happening on campus is the annual Spring Jam — the event where WPUNJ invites a big-name artist to perform for us. Last year we had artist Wale perform, and this year’s artist has just been announced: Ms. Jhené Aiko with special guest Lauriana Mae. Also at our spring jam will be DJ Wallah, DJ Camilo, and DJ Young Fresh of Hot 97. There is a student ticket price of $20 because the event serves as a fundraiser for Autism Speaks and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Go and make great musical memories this festival season, collegiettes! It doesn’t matter where you go, as long as you remember to stay safe (careful with the crowd surfing), protect your health (sun screen please!), and enjoy the experience.

Photo Sources:

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"