Female Artists Everyone Should Celebrate for Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.
  1. Britney Spears

Britney Spears started her career as a child in the Mickey Mouse Club alongside Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling, and Kerri Russel. She later became one of the biggest pop stars in the 90s and early 2000s, with hits like “Baby one more time” and “I’m a Slave 4 U”. She also overcame personal struggles including being free from her conservatorship in late 2020. Page Six, an online magazine, has reported that Britney has set a book deal with Simon and Schuster for $15 million to tell her story. Britney is the best example of what it means to be a strong woman.

2. Megan Thee Stallion

Megan Thee Stallion is a talented and successful rapper with hits like “Hot Girl Summer”, “Cry Baby”, and “SG”. She’s also been outspoken about getting an education and what it means to her and her family. In December, she earned her bachelor’s degree in Health Administration from Texas Southern University. The school also provided a scholarship named after her, and she received the 18th Congressional District of Texas Hero Award from congresswoman Shelia Jackson Lee in her hometown Houston.

3. Ariana Grande

Before Ariana Grande became the talented singer we all know and love, she was Cat Valentine on Nickelodeon’s television show “Victorious” from 2010 to 2013. She later became an artist after the show ended with hits like “Problem,” “Bang Bang” with Jessie J and Nicki Minaj, “Dangerous Woman”, “Thank U, Next,” and many more. She’s done charity work, according to Billboard she and Justin Bieber raised $3.5 million for the First Responders Children’s Foundation based on their 2020 single “Stuck With U”. She was recently a host for NBC’s 21st season of “The Voice” alongside Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, and Blake Shelton.

4. Selena Quintanilla-Perez

Selena Quintanilla-Perez was a singer who started off in a band with her family and friends called “Selena y Los Dinos” before going solo. She mainly did Tejano music, redefined the genre, and became known as the “Queen of Tejano” in the late 80s and early 90s. Everyone will recognize her biggest songs like “Como La Flor,” “Bidi bidi bom bom,” “Amor Prohibido”. Not only did she have a successful music career, she also opened a boutique named after her. It is now known as the “Selena Museum” alongside her family’s record label Q Productions. Selena has inspired many young generations, especially in music and her legacy continues to live on.

5. Rihanna

Rihanna is the best definition of the “It Girl” she’s expanded herself beyond music and still makes a name for herself. She’s released hits such as “Pon de replay,” “SOS,” “Umbrella,” “Don’t Stop the Music,” and many more. In 2017, Rihanna released her make-up brand, Fenty Beauty, which became an instant success because it focuses on representation and inclusion. They expanded their skin tones into 50 shades for all people to find and use. She has been called a “fashion icon,” with every single outfit she wears at every red-carpet event.

These women have done things to inspire and influence women to believe in themselves, which is why they all deserve to be celebrated and acknowledged by everyone.

An aspiring journalist with a passion for pop culture but also talks about self-care, and local news. Major in Journalism minor in Psychology. And whenever she's not writing articles or studying she's listening to music or podcasts or watch television.