This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Spring can be a pretty gloomy month weather wise in New Jersey, but you can easily bring a pop of Spring color to your room with these pastel/floral room pieces. The items used for this DIY can easily be found around your house, at the dollar store, and at any craft store.

1. Mason Jar Filledwith Flowers

You’re going to need a Mason Jar which can be found in many different sizes at any craft store near you. You can do this any way you want, with the lace or without the lace, around the top cap. If you don’t have any lying around, you can buy fake flowers either at Michaels or your local Dollar Store. If they have long stems on them, rip or cut the stems short and throw a bunch in the jar as shown below. You can decorate and personalize it any way you want. Also, if you don’t like the lace on the top, you can hot glue the lace around the mason jar into a bow shape. Eitherway, this is a timeless centerpiece for a room and the flowers can be rearanged year round to match the color of the season.

2. Upcycled Tin Can Pencil Holder

Have an extra coffee tin lying around? You can easily upcycle it into a pencil holder for your desk or a place to put fresh flowers or even a place to throw any extra change you have lying around. It can either be a fun way to create extra storage or cute and simple decor for an empty shelf. You are going to need a can, or any glass container you might have. Look around your house for these things before you run off to Michaels because I can gaurentee you will find something useful for this DIY. Once you find your container, go out and buy your favorite color of paint, preferrably a pastel or bright color since it is Spring. You can either paint the whole thing or  half of it like in the picture below. You can make it striped by putting tape around the jar and painting over it, after the paint dries, take the tape off. You can even use chalkboard paint and use pastel colored chalk to write a message. The best thing about this DIY is you can be as creative as possible and personalize it to your taste.

Tip: If you have an almost empty candle jar, you can put the candle in the freezer for a day and than pop out the wax. You can also use that as a replacement for the jar or tin.

3. Floral Letter

All you need for this one is a cardboard letter of your choosing, fake flowers (you can buy those with or without the stems), paint, and some modge podge to put the flowers on the cardboard. You can use a wooden letter if you prefer that over cardboard. You can find cardboard letters at many craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels.) You just need to find one that is bulky. Using a flat letter is fine as well, but it won’t have the look the same as the bulkier ones do. You can do this two different ways: You can paint the sides of the letter and place the flowers on the front or you can ignore the paint entirely and just put flowers all over the letter including the sides. It depends on what letter you are using because you don’t want it to look cluttered, but in the end its your decision. After you’ve decided how you’re going to do the cardboard letter, stick the flowers on and you’ve got cute and easy decor for your door or your desk.

4. Pastel Chalkboard Picture Frame

Simply buy a cheap picture frame in a shape of your desire. If you don’t like the color, you can change that too with a touch of paint. All you need after that is some chalkboard paint which is available at most craft stores. You will use the chalkboard paint to paint inside the picture frame, right on top of the glass. Its super simple and makes your space feel even more organized.A pastel chalkboard picture frame can be used for so many things in your room.For example, writing down assignment due dates or just putting a quote you love to hang on the wall! This effortless idea will not only give you a reason to write down the due date for that paper you’re dreading, but it can even serve as motivation during the toughest time of year – finals. Simply writing “Hey, study 15 definitions for Psych! :)” can be a motivational tool to actually sit down and study. I never thought chalkboards could be really useful outside of a classroom until I made my own chalkboard picture frame for my bedroom. 

These decor ideas are meant to be fun, easy, and simple little projects that shouldn’t cost you a lot of money. As college students, we don’t have all of the time in the world to craft DIY’s all day and we like to spend our money on a steaming cup of coffee before that class at eight in the morning rather than pieces of wood. But on a rainy day this Spring, grab a group of your friends and try some of these. They really are fun and can be a great project for when you’re stuck inside with nothing to do.

Sources:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"