Domestic Violence: It’s Not Only The Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

I don’t know about you, but when most people are asked about domestic violence they immediately conclude, “oh, it’s when a man beats a woman.” Well ladies and gents, that’s not always the case. It can be the other way around too. Since it’s Domestic Violence Awareness month, I thought why not shed some light on some famous examples of men being victimized by women.

1. Abe Lincoln

When Abraham Lincoln was married to Mary Todd (a marriage which he hated) she used to beat the living hell out of him. Yes, I was shocked too. Apparently when he would come home with the wrong type of meat to cook for supper she would get so mad that she hit him in the face and drew blood. Another time, he didn’t put enough wood in the fire place so she beat him up…with a LOG.

2. Bobby Brown

The singer/songwriter who was previously married to Whitney Houston had rumors forming that he used to beat Whitney at the time that they were married. Surprisingly, years later, it was Whitney herself who said, “contrary to belief, I do the hitting, he doesn’t,” which meant all these years he was being beaten up and everyone was blaming him for the violence. Ridiculous, right?

3. Christian Slater

The famous Mr. Robot star, got into a fight with his wife at The Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas in 2003. She threw a glass at him and it shattered on his neck, which caused him to get at least 20 stitches. But justice was served and she was then arrested for domestic abuse.

4. Lionel Richie

Richie and his wife at the time, Brenda Harvey, were going through a rough patch and when she found out Richie was cheating on her with another woman, she beat him to pieces and got arrested for spousal abuse. Even when the other is cheating, violence is never the answer, folks.

5. Al Green

The singer was seeing his girlfriend, Mary Woodson, who was married at the time that they were seeing other. She started a fight with Green because he refused to marry her since she was already married…confusing, I know. He tried to walk away from the fight so it wouldn’t progress so he jumped into the shower. You’ll never guess it, but while he was in the shower she came and took a pan of boiling grits and dumped it all over him in the shower; giving him third-degree burns all over his body.

These are only SOME of the famous people we know who were hit by their female partners. This proves that domestic violence can happen to anyone we know, at any given point in their lives. Media may portray men as the violent ones, but we must realize that they can be hurt too.

Domestic Violence hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)

Domestic Violence Website: http://www.thehotline.org/

HCXO.

William Paterson University Junior Harry potter fan and Public Health major
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"