Carlos Cano: '09 Alumna

Name: Carlos Cano ‘09

Major: Business Administration & Professional Sales

Hometown: Jersey City, NJ

Activities on Campus (when you were an undergraduate): Student Ambassador, Orientation Leader, Peer Leader, Resident Assistant, Chair of the Court of Judicial Review (SGA)

HC: When did you attend WPUNJ? What was your plan or course of study?

CC: I attended WPUNJ beginning in the Fall of 2004 and graduated after my Fall 2008 semester.  I originally had come in as Undecided and then changed my major a few times until I ended up with a double major in Business Administration & Professional Sales.

HC: What are your best memories as an undergraduate student at WPUNJ?

CC: Wow, I could pick so many, but I will go with just two!  In 2008, I was awarded the SGA Pioneer Pride award; it was a newly-created award given to someone who exemplified the WPUNJ spirit, and it was the first time it was awarded.  That same year, I placed 3rd Overall in the National Sales Challenge through the Sales program; academically speaking, this was my crowning achievement.

HC: How did you know Professional Sales was the right fit for you?

CC: I decided to take a course titled “Negotiation” as an elective for my Business major.  Professor Tim Werkley, who taught the course, recommended I take the next course in the program called “Professional Selling”.  After totally tanking my first sales roleplay, Professor Werkley told me that I had tons of potential and that with a little polishing and hard work, I would excel greatly.  A few years later, I represented WPUNJ in the National Sales Challenge against roughly 100 of the best sales students in the country, and I placed 3rd out of them all. I would’ve loved 1st, but 3rd out of about 100 is not bad at all.

HC: Tell us about your experiences and achievements throughout your college years. 

CC: My experiences and achievements here at WPUNJ have been the reason why I am so proud to be a Pioneer.  When I say I bleed Black & Orange, I mean just that.  This university gave me experiences I will never forget, allowed me to make some of my very best and closest friends, and allowed me to do things that I never even dreamed.

HC: Why did you decide to pursue a career at WPU upon graduation? 

CC: Why not?!  WPUNJ is in my heart always… I love this place.  Even though it is my job and it is how I make a living, I also am able to give back to the university that gave me so much.

HC: What do you love about your job?

CC: It may sound cliché, but, I love my job.  Love.  I get to represent my alma mater in a role where I truly get to help students and families.  It is more than just applying and picking a school; it is about finding the right fit at a college or university. My job is to help people do that.

HC: What other responsibilities do you have, aside from being an Admissions Counselor? 

CC: Aside from recruitment and application review, I am the coordinator of our Pioneer Overnight program for prospective and accepted incoming students, liaison to Music Admissions, and I am also the advisor of Theta Phi Alpha and co-advisor of the newly formed Commuter Club.

HC: What advice would you give to current and prospective WPUNJ students to ensure they have the best experiences at WPUNJ? 

CC: Get involved.  Please, get involved.  It completely enhances your entire college experience.  Look at what the awesome work organizations like Her Campus WPUNJ are doing; we have over 100 different clubs to get involved in!  My involvement is what led to so many of the wonderful experiences and opportunities I had.