Carlos Cano: ’09 Alumna

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Carlos Cano ‘09

Major: Business Administration & Professional Sales

Hometown: Jersey City, NJ

Activities on Campus (when you were an undergraduate): Student Ambassador, Orientation Leader, Peer Leader, Resident Assistant, Chair of the Court of Judicial Review (SGA)

HC: When did you attend WPUNJ? What was your plan or course of study?

CC: I attended WPUNJ beginning in the Fall of 2004 and graduated after my Fall 2008 semester.  I originally had come in as Undecided and then changed my major a few times until I ended up with a double major in Business Administration & Professional Sales.

HC: What are your best memories as an undergraduate student at WPUNJ?

CC: Wow, I could pick so many, but I will go with just two!  In 2008, I was awarded the SGA Pioneer Pride award; it was a newly-created award given to someone who exemplified the WPUNJ spirit, and it was the first time it was awarded.  That same year, I placed 3rd Overall in the National Sales Challenge through the Sales program; academically speaking, this was my crowning achievement.

HC: How did you know Professional Sales was the right fit for you?

CC: I decided to take a course titled “Negotiation” as an elective for my Business major.  Professor Tim Werkley, who taught the course, recommended I take the next course in the program called “Professional Selling”.  After totally tanking my first sales roleplay, Professor Werkley told me that I had tons of potential and that with a little polishing and hard work, I would excel greatly.  A few years later, I represented WPUNJ in the National Sales Challenge against roughly 100 of the best sales students in the country, and I placed 3rd out of them all. I would’ve loved 1st, but 3rd out of about 100 is not bad at all.

HC: Tell us about your experiences and achievements throughout your college years. 

CC: My experiences and achievements here at WPUNJ have been the reason why I am so proud to be a Pioneer.  When I say I bleed Black & Orange, I mean just that.  This university gave me experiences I will never forget, allowed me to make some of my very best and closest friends, and allowed me to do things that I never even dreamed.

HC: Why did you decide to pursue a career at WPU upon graduation? 

CC: Why not?!  WPUNJ is in my heart always… I love this place.  Even though it is my job and it is how I make a living, I also am able to give back to the university that gave me so much.

HC: What do you love about your job?

CC: It may sound cliché, but, I love my job.  Love.  I get to represent my alma mater in a role where I truly get to help students and families.  It is more than just applying and picking a school; it is about finding the right fit at a college or university. My job is to help people do that.

HC: What other responsibilities do you have, aside from being an Admissions Counselor? 

CC: Aside from recruitment and application review, I am the coordinator of our Pioneer Overnight program for prospective and accepted incoming students, liaison to Music Admissions, and I am also the advisor of Theta Phi Alpha and co-advisor of the newly formed Commuter Club.

HC: What advice would you give to current and prospective WPUNJ students to ensure they have the best experiences at WPUNJ? 

CC: Get involved.  Please, get involved.  It completely enhances your entire college experience.  Look at what the awesome work organizations like Her Campus WPUNJ are doing; we have over 100 different clubs to get involved in!  My involvement is what led to so many of the wonderful experiences and opportunities I had.

Jenna is the Co-Founder, President and Social Media & Events Director of the WPUNJ branch of Her Campus.  She is a senior Marketing major with a minor in Public Relations.  In the fall 2014 semester, she interned with In Touch, Life & Style and Closer Weekly at Bauer Publishing in the public relations department.  In the spring 2015 semester, she is interning with Jaguar Land Rover North America in the network development department.  She is the Student Representative for the PR & Marketing Committee of WPUNJ, a MTV Trendspotter for MTV Insights and blogger of collegiate advice.  She is a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Lambda Pi Eta honor societies, and will graduate Magna Cum Laude.  Previously, Jenna worked as a Student Ambassador and Tour Coordinator in the Admissions Office at WPUNJ, was a member of the Student Public Relations Association (SPRA) and was a publicity intern for Kim "Kim D" DePaola, owner of POSCHE Boutique in Wayne, NJ, who is featured on the Real Housewives of New Jersey.  Jenna's interests include dancing, shopping and hanging out with friends.  She loves everything pink and Britney Spears!