Bizarre Holidays of May 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new month, and with a new month comes new holidays. Here at Her Campus WPUNJ, we’ve searched the Internet high and low to come up with a wacky holiday for each day of May.

1 – Save the Rhino Day
Despite not knowing when and where this holiday originated, we thought it was not only creative but adorable. Save the Rhino Day is self-explanatory. Spend May 1st reading about rhinoceroses, go see them in the zoo, or go symbolically adopt a Sumatran Rhino (like the cutie and his mommy in the picture above!).

2 – Baby Day
Babies are cute, right? Well, here’s a day to celebrate all the crying, whining, and odd bodily functions that come along with their adorableness.

3 – Lumpy Rug Day
We don’t get this one either; don’t worry.
(Addendum: We had accidentally said that Free Comic Book Day was today, but we had the date for last year’s! Sorry ’bout that. But if you’re still feeling like you want to get down and nerdy, take your lumpy rug on a date to see Marvel’s Iron Man 3 – in theaters today!)

4 – Star Wars Day
May the Fourth be with you! (Get it?) Celebrate the story of Luke, Han, Leia, R2, Chewie, and the whole gang today by re-watching the entire series – that’s right, all six films. Break out the wrapping paper tube lightsaber and get ready for your 14-hour movie marathon.
This year, the 4th is also Free Comic Book Day! Don’t forget to stop by your LCS!

5 – Cinco De Mayo
What’s the point of this holiday? Cinco de Mayo is actually the anniversary of Mexico fighting for its independence from the French. If you’re 21, go spend your time celebrating it in the modern way, with a beer and a plateful of quesadillas.

6 – No Diet Day
Go eat French fries, cotton candy, chocolate, soda, cheeseburgers, pizza and everything else you’d normally avoid when on a diet. Why? Because why not!

7 – National Teachers Day (Tuesday of the first full week of May)
Spend the 7th this year thanking your teachers (and professors). If it weren’t for them, you wouldn’t even be able to enjoy Her Campus! Show them how much you appreciate them by thanking them, writing them a letter or email, or even dropping by and giving them a small gift.

8 – V-E Day
V-E Day. We knew it had something to do with history, but even we had to look it up. This date (called Victory In Europe Day) signifies the end of World War II, so we suppose it’s something to celebrate.

9 – Lost Sock Memorial Day
Ever do your laundry only to find you’re missing a sock? It happens to me all the time. This holiday is pretty self-explanatory. Mourn for all of your lost socks. Whether they got eaten by the washer and dryer or lost who knows where, take the time appreciate them. We recommend wearing a mismatched pair of socks (that no longer have a pair) to celebrate.

10 – Clean Up Your Room Day
This day is absolutely terrible if you’re someone like me. Not only is my room a mess a majority of the time, but it’s also my birthday. Who wants to clean their room on their birthday? But heads up WPUNJ – today is also the last day of the semester! (So if you’re moving out of the dorms, you’ll inevitably wind up celebrating this peculiar holiday.)

11 – Eat What You Want Day
This seems to be very similar to No Diet Day, but hey, we’re not complaining! Spend your first official day of summer vacation with a friend. Go out to eat and eat whatever. And don’t forget to get dessert!

12 – Mother’s Day (second Sunday of May)
Of course everyone knows about mother’s day. Don’t forget to get some flowers and cards for your mother or other fellow mothers.  Just show some appreciation and say thanks. After all, think of how many years she spent celebrating Baby Day for you…

13 – Frog Jumping Day
Apparently this day has something to do with Mark Twain’s first short story. And honestly, we’re not sure if you’re supposed to jump like a frog, or jump over a frog. But hey, it’ll be interesting either way.

14 – Dance Like A Chicken Day
Right after Frog Jumping Day comes Dance like a Chicken Day. And we say why not? Stop being so self-conscious and enjoy the chicken dance with your friends.

15 – National Chocolate Chip Day
Who doesn’t love chocolate chips? Honestly, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t. Use today as an excuse to eat chocolate chips. Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip brownies, and my personal favorite — a handful of chocolate chips.

16 – Love A Tree Day
At Her Campus WPUNJ, we just couldn’t decide what bizarre holiday to chose for the 16th. Eventually we settled for Love a Tree Day. Just go hug one. Also, it’s National Sea Monkey Day.  So while you’re out hugging a tree, pick up a kit and watch those sea monkeys come to life.

17 – National Bike to Work Day (third Friday of the month )
If you work, this is a holiday you should definitely take advantage of if the weather is projected to be nice. Ride your bike to work. Not only is it good for you, but it’s also good for the environment. 

18 – No Dirty Dishes Day
That’s right. No dirty dishes! Make sure you keep that dishwasher going or wash the dish you dirty right after you use it.

19 – Boys Club Day
We don’t know what Boy’s Club Day is. All we can tell you is we weren’t invited.

20 – Be A Millionaire Day
I’m pretty sure we could all go for this. Who doesn’t want to be a millionaire? Despite the name of the holiday, no one is going to give you a million dollars. But you could pretend you’re one, as long as you don’t break the bank in the process.

21 – National Waiters and Waitresses Day
Personally, I was really happy to see this is a day. Most waiters and waitresses I know work really hard; they deserve a day to be thanked and congratulated. They put up with all of your nonsense and still serve you your food. So if you go out to eat on May 21st, make sure you tip well!

22 – Buy A Musical Instrument Day
Yet another strange holiday. Go toot your own horn and buy an instrument.

23 – Lucky Penny Day
We’re not really sure what the point of this day is, but make sure to leave a penny face up somewhere. It might make someone’s day. “See a penny, pick it up. All day long you’ll have good luck. Give it to a fathful friend, then your luck will never end!”

24 – National Escargot Day
We can’t even tell you to try this stuff. Snails… gross!

25 – Tap Dance Day
Perhaps you need to take on a new hobby. Well, if it’s the 25th, there’s no better time to take up tap dancing. It’s a style of dance that’s definitely one of the more interesting ones. Make music with your feet!

26 – Sally Ride Day
Sally Ride is the first woman to enter low orbit in space. This makes her a super cool woman and role model. She just recently passed away (July 23, 2012) so celebrate her memory right and deck yourself out in NASA gear.

27 – Memorial Day
Memorial Day is known for spending time to remember those that risked their lives serving for the United States Military. It’s also known as the start of summer and a good excuse for a BBQ. We also found out that it’s rightfully called Sunscreen Day as well.

28 – Amnesty International Day
Amnesty International Day recognizes the need to protect human rights around the world. Take some time today to educate yourself on human rights problems.

29 – Learn About Composting Day
We think this is a pretty obvious name. Learn about how composting can help the environment and how it’s cost-effective to make fertilizer.

30 – Water A Flower Day
Speaking of fertilizer, maybe you can use your newly acquired knowledge to help you with gardening. May 30th is Water a Flower Day! Whether it’s your own garden or a wild flower, give it a little love.

31 – National Macaroon Day
Who even knows what this is about? But, on the other hand, who really cares? This holiday is another great excuse for enjoying dessert. Macaroon cookies are so good! Maybe you can find a recipe online and attempt to make them for your own. If not, go get some from the store!

That’s it for May! We at Her Campus WPUNJ hope you have a lovely month and an even lovelier summer!

A special thanks to http://www.holidayinsights.com for helping us compile a holiday for every day.

Photo Sources:

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"