Annette Baron: WPUNJ Professor and Businesswoman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Annette Baron

Hometown: Long Island, New York

Current Residency: Paramus, New Jersey

Fun Facts: I play five musical instruments, I have traveled all over the world, and I am grateful for every day.

Favorite Quote: “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

As women in the workplace are continuing to flourish so are the leaders who have paved the way — and continue to — in modern society. A strong role model and leader for working women at WPUNJ is Professor Annette Baron. She is a highly successful entrepreneur and business owner, mother, and professor who is passionate about growing her business, being a mother, and teaching her students how to be professionals in the world of business. She is our Campus Celebrity, not only because of her popularity among students in the business school, but also for her influence as a strong woman in the business world.

HC: How many degrees do you currently have? What are they?

AB: I have a BA in Biology – Medical Science and Physician Assistant – Professional Certification MBA.

HC: As a woman who has been successful in her journey thus far, what do you consider success to be?

AB: Success is achieving harmony among career, family, and self. All goals are possible when these three life aspects are aligned.

HC: What is your greatest achievement in your personal life?

AB: Single-handedly financially supporting three children through life, including cars, one private high school, three college educations, one law school degree, mortgage, and more after the death of my husband at a very young age. I also kept my family intact and emotionally supported, and I moved on with my own life by re-marrying.

HC: What is your greatest achievement in your professional life?

AB: My greatest professional achievement is feeling that my accomplishments matter. It’s great to look back on the businesses I’ve built and the income they have generated. It’s much more gratifying to notice and appreciate the impact my work has had on business colleagues, employees, and others.

HC: Who was your role model growing up?

AB: My father was my role model. I admired his strong moral compass, great sense of conviction, and dedication to hard work.

HC: What advice would you give to women who want to be successful in the business world?

AB: Embrace failure, vulnerability, and passion. Strive for an unrelenting positive attitude. Dig deeply into what you love; don’t just skip over the surface. Do what you love and money will follow. Align the three most important things – yourself, your loved ones, and your work. Expect excellence from yourself and everyone around you. Feed your soul. Lean into everything you choose to do. Cry when you think about how happy you are. Pay attention. Get plenty of sleep.

HC: Since you have children, do you think you have fulfilled being a role model for them?

AB: Yes. I believe I have been an excellent role model for my children, especially my daughters. All my children gave me the highest compliment by telling me that they want to raise their children the way I raised them.

HC: What was the biggest challenge you have ever faced in your career?

AB: Making changes. I wanted to extricate myself from my business because I was burnt out by the day-to-day after 25 years. But I also wanted to keep the business going. I couldn’t figure it out. A colleague recommended a business coach. It was a messy, soul searching, learning journey. But well worth it. Now my business is thriving, and I’m exactly where I want to be!

HC: What advice do you give women in college and business school today?

AB: In addition to the advice above (see Question 6), read the book Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. Always pedal forward; never backward.

I am a Business Administration student at William Paterson University, graduating in 2015. I am the Social Media Manager at Her Campus WPUNJ. When I'm not working on my assignments, I'm eating food and seeking adventure. I also love to exercise, travel and  spend time with my dog. I try to always enjoy the little things in life, because to me, they are the big things.Be sure to tweet at me! @lalalexiiiii
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"