Anna O’Connor ’17: A Force To Be Reckoned With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Name: Anna O’Connor

Hometown: Roselle Park

Major: Sociology and a newly added major Theater/Comedy

Year: Sophomore

Involvement: The Feminist Collective, CHOSEN, Gandhian Forum for Peace and Justice

Fun Fact: I am also a fire dancer. I have a fire hula hoop and fire fans.

Favorite Quote: “You can change the world when you change your mind” – Kinky Boots (the Broadway musical)

There are some students that embody the spirit of our community here at WPUNJ. Anna O’Connor can be seen hoop in hand around campus, and you might be able to catch of glimpse of some of her incredible moves, but what truly shines about her is her commitment to creativity, individuality, and social empowerment. The multi-talented sophomore has a distinct energy of ambition that is matched by her consciousness and compassion for others. She’s made our campus her stage and her marching ground; Anna is set to make a stir wherever she goes either through her dance, music, or other art form, or through her ideas of equality. 

HC: You’re known for hooping around on the commons and most recently at on campus events; how did you get into it?

AO: I started last winter break because I wanted to have something to do in my free time. Little did I know that it would take up more than just my free time, but it would become a part of me. It is much more than just going out and hooping for people. It has completely shaped who I am now, and for that I am truly grateful. 

HC: What has been your favorite class here at WPUNJ, and why?

AO: This semeser has brought me a lot of great classes with even better professors. I am taking two classes on racism and sexism, and I can say both have changed me as a student and a person. I now look at the world, people, and society much differently. I know that taking these classes can sometimes be a bit draining because the topics are rarely happy, but it plants the idea of change in almost every aspect of opression we cover. More importantly, I am starting to understand people a lot more because even though we all think so differently, we are all connected. 

HC: Your social activism is also prominent; what keeps you going advocating for your causes and social movements?

AO: Social activism for me as an individual is very new. I started going to Feminist Collective meetings after being in two feminist plays at WPUNJ. I was Susan in The Heidi Chronicles, and I also had a monologue in The Vagina Monologues. Through working with people who felt strongly about feminism, I started to learn more about it. I started to become active as a club member and very intrigued in their discussions. I also work with CHOSEN, which is the LGBT club on campus. I feel passionate about a lot of social justice issues, and that is what got me into my most recent achievment, which is the Gandhian Forum for Peace and Justice. I keep going as an advocate even though sometimes it is very difficult because I keep one thing always in mind: “If I don’t do it, who will?” I know that I am more than capable to continue to stand up and give a voice to these issues.  I will keep going, and it will be hard, but I’m willing to take the challenge.

HC: What has been your greatest accomplishment here at WPUNJ?

AO: Being at WPUNJ has been very much a personal journey for me. I had issues with getting loans and almost thought I wouldn’t be able to make it back this semester. I promised myself that if I did get it, I would push myself and do as much as I possibly can. My greatest achievement was keeping my word and not only being a good student but continuing to move forward as an artist, a performer, and the early stages of an activist.

HC: If you were to give your younger-self a piece of advice, what would it be?

AO: Don’t get caught up in things that don’t matter. There’s a lot of distraction in this world to keep you from doing what you want to do and reaching your goals. 

HC: You put your talents to use, no doubt! You recently modeled and performed in the WPUNJ Boohoo Style Squad’s Fall Fashion Show and placed first runner up in the Brave New Radio cover contest with your beautiful rendition of Duffy’s “Mercy.” What’s next for you?

AO: I like to keep very busy! Since I won the Brave New Radio contest, I will be playing at Bravestock on December 10! It’s hard to say what will come next with performing on campus, but just be ready to see a lot more of me. I haven’t even began to really show all I’ve got! I have a lot of ideas for what comes next, but that’s going to be a nice suprise for a new semester!

HC: What do you hope to convey to your audience through your performances and art? 

AO: I have been a performer pretty much all my life. When I perform I can easily say that they are the best moments of my life. Each performance is an opportunity and each opportunity is an experience. Through these experiences I suprise myself with what I can actually do on stage, in a field, on a runway, in front of a mic, in a studio, or anywhere anyone is willing to watch or listen. Performing is the realest thing on this earth for me. If it is a great performance, it is the greatest feeling in the world; if it’s not so good… well, not the best feeling. But the point is, the feeling is raw emotion. I give everything I have (and then some) when I perform. What I want to get across to the audience is that I am “all in” with this performance; this is all I’ve got. I really feel that people get that message too. For me, my goal is to inspire others who will only in return inspire me. I want someone to watch what I do and choose to create something of their own. That is the beauty of art — to inspire others to keep the art going; it’s a movement.

Make sure to keep up with Anna and find out where you can catch her next by connecting with her on social media. 

instagram: @strange_calzone 

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aoconnor1216AMO

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/aoconnor1216/

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"