5 Things Your Best Friend Needs To Hear But May Not Want To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

It is your duty as a best friend to make sure your fellow BFF is always on top of things.  It could be their makeup, their new ‘do, or that (ahem) interesting jacket they want to buy. Point is, you need to tell them what they need to hear, whether they like it or not. Honesty is the best policy here, and sure, they might be upset at first, but they’ll thank you in the long run.  Here are a few things you need to tell your bestie before embarrassment sets in.

1.     When her foundation doesn’t match her actual skin tone

This is number one for a reason. PLEASE GO TO A PROFESSIONAL WHEN TRYING TO MATCH FOUNDATIONS.  I beg you. Nothing looks worse when it looks like you’re wearing a mask instead of it blending in and looking natural. Don’t wing it; this will come in handy, I promise you. So, collegiettes, if you see that your BFF’s foundation is looking a tad like spray tan, let them know nicely. It shows that you care and that you’re helping prevent any possible embarrassment. They may be upset at first, but in the long run they’ll thank you!

2.     When the hair color/cut she wants would definitely NOT suit her

We all have sporadic moments where we want to take a leap of faith with our hair, admit it. After Rihanna’s blazing red phase a lot of girls were all for testing it out, some who definitely shouldn’t have as well. If your friend wants your opinion on changing up her hair, tell her honestly that maybe she should rethink it. Don’t let her end up like Kourtney K in the 90s.

3.     When the dress she loves looks like a parking cone — or worse

If it’s super boxy and looks like it could be standing out in traffic, don’t let her buy it. Some people want to go eccentric and edgy with their style, but if your BFF is taking it to the neon fashion trend of Zenon, it’s time to tell her.

4.     When she decides to pass her drinking limit for the night

Everyone has one of those nights, and BFFs take care of each other. When she’s had a few too many, it’s time to intervene before anything bad happens. Talk to her, keep it light and happy so no emotional breakdowns happen, and keep your eye on her. It might just be time to tuck her into bed.

5.     When the guy she’s been talking to isn’t treating her right — or worse, being unfaithful

When a boy gets involved with your BFF, he’s getting involved with you too.  Obviously you let them have space, but just like a mom you watch him very closely. And you’re gonna have to meet him sometime, right? Initial impressions always important; if he’s rude to you, he might be rude to your BFF too, and we don’t like that. Suspecting him of cheating is said directly to your BFF. Whatever happens, just sit her down, tell her you’re there for her, and make sure she realizes that maybe he’s not treating her as well as she thinks. A little Perks of Being a WallFlower reference: “We accept the love we think we deserve.”

Samantha is a Junior and the president of Her Campus WPUNJ at William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. She prefers the nickname Sam and is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Visual Communication. She lives in Central Jersey and lives for the New York Rangers. She loves the outdoors and all things entomology, especially butterflies. When she's not catching up on her favorite Netflix shows she's either working out at the Rec, writing up a spicy new piece for Her Campus, or watching hockey. But most importantly, the way to her heart is some delicious sushi!
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"