5 Natural Hairstyles to Spice Up Your Curls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

Having natural hair can be a both a blessing and a curse. You have this full, beautiful head of hair, but you also have to keep it strong and moisturized, which can be a struggle. After you have established that, you have to style it, and sometimes you don’t have any ideas. Here are some hairstyles that can work for a variety of hair textures and lengths so you don’t have to panic on wash day.

Twist Out

Twist outs, bantu knot outs, and braid outs require no tools and are a staple for naturalistas everywhere. Allow the twists, bantu knots, or braids to dry completely and you can leave your hair alone for a few days. Braid some cornrows on the side of your head to add some flair.

Flexi Rod Style

To get a different kind of curl, you can use a flexi rod set to put your hair in. This can be complicated at first, but there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. When you have a flexi rod style, you can have a curly puff or you can just leave it out; you have increased flexibility with your hair if you have tighter coils.

Bun/Half Up Half Down

Sometimes you just don’t want your hair in your face, and sometimes you just don’t want to deal with it at all. Whether you want to slick down the rest of your hair with gel or leave it natural, use a hair donut or not, a bun or a half up half down style can be your solution to a fuss free hair day.

Crochet Braids

Although crochet braids require extensions, they are an easy, DIY way to have a protective style. Plus, they can be styled so many different ways. You can have from ringlet curls to a fluffy fro, depending on the type of hair you choose or just how you want it to look.

Halo Braid

Another fuss free style is the sleek, classic halo braid. This one is perfect for special occasions or formal events. Halo braids may take a few tries to do correctly, so once again, hit up those YouTube tutorials to look like the angel you are.

You can do any variation of these styles as you want! Whatever works for your hair length and your hair texture, do it! Just remember: always be proud of your hair.

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"