free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 On-Campus Career Sources You Should Consider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As collegiettes, our career is constantly under our scrutiny. We’re building our resume, gaining contacts, applying, interviewing, and constantly looking for ways to give us the best situation for the post grad life. Essentially, we are ambitious women looking for the resources to reach our goal. At this point, you’ve visited the Career Development Center and our annual job fairs on campus, but HCWPUNJ is here to give you information about additional sources on campus worth taking advantage of.

1.  The Pesce Family Mentoring Institute

WPUNJ’s new mentoring institute is already up and running through its first year.  The institute was named in honor of Board of Trustees member William Pesce and his family, who donated a generous gift to the William Paterson University Foundation.  Eligible students are paired up with a successful professional for a school year and engage in an online community via professional social networking site LinkedIn. As a mentee, I can say that the program is wonderful.

2.  WP Job Connect

Everyone knows WP Connect is where you go to keep tabs on your life as a student at WPUNJ, but did you know of the new site dedicated to enriching your career? WP Job Connect is a website where you can find job and internship listings and keep copies of your resumes, cover letters, writing samples, applications, and other documents on file. Sign up for an account and browse the posted jobs.

3.  Career Events On Campus

How do you usually spend your common hour? Lounging in the student center or printing in the Atrium? Well, if you’re ever looking to dedicate some of your free time to self-enrichment there are many events on campus to help students plan their futures. And they aren’t limited to common hour.  The events are organized by different groups on campus, and some times are catered to specifics groups. For example the College of Humanities and Social Sciences recently put on a three-week series about interviewing and resume writing tailored for their students and their skill sets. Clubs also host their fair share of career-oriented events; Her Campus WPUNJ held a workshop and photoshoot for the professional social networking site LinkedIn. Take advantage of these events where you can learn new information and network with attendees. Plus, there’s typically free food provided! Keep an eye on our calander to be in the know of what’s happening on campus.

4.  Your Professors

Professors are a great resource for figuring out what it is you want to do, even if it’s simply figuring out what to create for your senior seminar project. It can be intimidating, but if you’re interested in something your professor is passionate about, even if they aren’t in your department, reach out to them and oftentimes they will provide advice and insight. Building connections with professors will help you whether you need to complete an independent study, need references, or for guidance when you are unsure of the path ahead.

5.  Other Passionate Students

You know that cliché, “it’s not what you know, but who you know,” that refers to the idea that sometimes in life your knowledge and skill alone won’t land you your dream career. Of course this isn’t to say that a connection is more important than being a qualified individual, but your peers can be a great source for opportunities and enrichment. This semester alone I’ve had three friends forward me an internship opportunity or send support my way when I mentioned an interest in applying. When you’ve got passionate friends who want to see you succeed and help you out, you’ve got a true recipe for success. Don’t forget to pay it forward; when you see an opportunity that fits the interests of another friend, pass it along to them. I stumbled upon the publication I currently intern for when a friend asked me for a ride to the mall and suggested we stop at 7/11 first. If I hadn’t offered, I would’ve missed my opportunity.

Photo Sources: 

Photo 1: https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliewalraven/9224605544/

Photo 2: http://pixabay.com/en/woman-coffee-work-worker-lady-315006/

Cover Photo: http://pixabay.com/en/silhouette-women-work-walking-305431/

Priscilla Cordero is a collegiette from WPUNJ. She is an Anthropology major with a double minor in Music Studies and Media Studies. She is a writer and holds the managing for HCWPUNJ. Her passions include culture, diversity, social justice awareness, feminism, positivity, creativity, and music. She is a member of the Honors College on her campus. In March 2014 Priscilla was awarded HCWPUNJ's Best Polls, Best Celebrities, and Most Spirited. A Jersey girl at heart, but she has New York City dreams. She loves to attend concerts, sing, read fashion magazines, travel, and blog (tumblr included)! 
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"