4 Tips to Stay Safe on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.
Halloween is on a Friday night this year, which translates to a weekend full of parties and festivities. In college, Halloween is a night of dressing up in whatever you want and looking as ridiculous as you want with no questions asked. While we’re all excited for a night out during the spookiest time of year, every collegiette remembers all the lessons our moms taught us about going out and taking precautions. Here are four tips on how to stay safe this Halloween!

1. Keep an eye on your drink 
Date rape is a serious epidemic in colleges in our country. One of the easiest ways to become a victim is by having your drink tampered with. They taught us this in high school, but keeping your drink close to you is valuable advice during your college years. 

2. Don’t go anywhere alone
This seems obvious, but sometimes we forget that. Especially to go flirt with the cutie you saw in the basement. As tempting as it is to tell your friends you’ll find them later, always make sure you keep them within eyesight. Like they told us in elementary school– there’s safety in numbers. This definitely applies to going out on a night like Halloween. 

3. Don’t go home with a stranger
Okay, so maybe the guy you’ve been dancing with all night is definitely the hottest guy at the party and when he asks you to come back to his place you blush, but no matter how tempting it may be, don’t do it. First of all, any guy worth your time would respect you more than to think he can just take you home the first night you meet. Second of all, you don’t know this person. He could be a crazy murderer, which is unlikely, but how could you tell? Never put yourself in an unsafe situation; get their number and leave it at that. You’ll thank yourself in the morning. 

4. Have your ride figured out ahead of time
Whether it’s a DD or a taxi, talk to the people you’re going out with and figure out a definite method of transportation. Don’t rely on your friend who always drinks and ends up having to come back for his car the next morning after parties to be your ride home. Make sure you have someone reliable and responsible to drive everyone. You should also have a charged cell phone in case for some reason you need to call your mom or a cab to come pick you up.

Happy Halloween, collegiettes, and stay safe!

Image sources:
Nicole attends William Paterson University and is majoring in English with a concentration in writing. She is 21 and lives in Livingston, NJ. She loves to read, watch Netflix, and nap as often as she can. She also loves her dog and anything feline-related.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"