This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.

As a child, I was exposed to a wide array of music, ranging from hip-hop to rock to Disney pop. I listened to it all, and it helped define my childhood. Here’s a list of my eclectic musical upbringing.

1. That’s What You Get by Paramore

This was the song that opened me up to Paramore, my favorite band now. I remember first seeing the music video on Fuse back in 2009, and from then on I was hooked. 

2. No One by Alicia Keys

Early 2000’s R&B constantly played in my house growing up, and I used to have this song on some no-name MP3 player when I was younger. I think we can all agree that Alicia needs to come out with some more bops. 

3. Say My Name by Destiny’s Child

You’re lying if you say this wasn’t one of your jams as a kid. My 5-year-old self felt that pain of not being respected by one’s lover. Or at least I thought I did. 

4. Shake It by Metro Station 

I believe this was the song that truly introduced me to emo culture back in 4th or 5th grade. It was only a matter of time before I found pop punk. 

5. Wannabe by Spice Girls

I honestly played this song on repeat until I learned all the lyrics. I am unsure why I had such an obsession with “Wannabe”, but I did and I am not ashamed. Which Spice Girl were you?

6. Nobody’s Perfect by Hannah Montana

Any Hannah Montana song could really fit into this slot, but I think “Nobody’s Perfect” fit nicely with my fragile self-esteem in 5th grade.  

7. Hello Seattle by Owl City 

I know, I know. “Fireflies” was the craze back in 2009, or 6th grade for me, and then became a meme about a year ago. That was the song that opened me up to Owl City, which remained one of my favorite bands for years after that. I downloaded their Ocean Eyes album and the obsession began.  

8. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

One of the most inspirational songs from my childhood; its message has always stuck with me. I still perform this song to this day.  

9. So What by P!nk

P!nk has always been awesome and rebellious to me, and when some irrelevant boy broke my heart in 5th grade, I jammed out to this song like no other.  

10. Don’t Lie by Black Eyed Peas

Pretty much all of The Black Eyed Peas’ Monkey Business album was consistently playing on the radio and in my house in 2005, but “Don’t Lie” was always my favorite. “Let’s Get It Started” from Elephunk is a close second. 

11. I’m Yours by Jason Mraz

I’m still in love with this song to this day. It used to be my sister’s ringtone on her flip phone back in 2008, so that alone can tell you how nostalgic this song is for me. 

12. Viva La Vida by Coldplay

I remember doing a project in 5th grade music class about “Viva La Vida”. It opened me up, not only to Coldplay as a band (which remains one of my favorites), it also showed me the world of alternative rock, even before “Shake It.” 

13. Hey Ya! by OutKast

I figured I’d end with a classic. Who doesn’t love “Hey Ya”? It still has a place in my playlists and in my heart. 

I hope you have enjoyed my trip down memory lane, and that you know at least some of these songs I have mentioned! Re-discover some of your old favorite songs, too! 

Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"