12 Things to Love About Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WPUNJ chapter.
All the trees have shed their leaves, we’ve broken out the Uggs, and Starbucks drinks are being served in their holiday cups. It may not be December 21st quite yet, but it’s safe to say winter is upon us. While we find ourselves missing summer, let’s give winter a chance, okay? Here are twelve things to love about this time of year. 

12. Fuzzy blankets 
It’s cold outside, but fuzzy blankets keep us nice and warm every winter season. We can wrap ourselves up in our favorite blanket, and all will be right with the world. 

11. Hot chocolate 
There is no better feeling than coming home from a long, cold winter day and cuddling up on the couch with a nice warm cup of hot chocolate. Nothing warms our hearts quite like it. And yes please to any chocolatey treat!

10. Cute accessories
Some girls live for winter fashion, and we’re guilty of it too! We could get lost in a world full of cute hats, scarves, and boots. 

9. New York City 
Ice skating, the Christmas tree, Rockefeller center, Radio City Music Hall, the ball dropping… We could go on and on about why the city at Christmas time is magical, but words can’t compare to the experience of this winter delight!

8. Holiday commercials 
Whether it’s the Hess Truck commercial or the M&M’s discovering Santa, holiday commercials give winter the holiday spirit that only advertising can. 

7. Desserts
Two words: Christmas cookies. Need we say more?

6. Snow days 

While the thought of snow may make us cringe, snow days are winter’s gift to us. A snow day is a day off from the real world where we can relax at home and be lazy without feeling guilty about it. Besides, playing in the snow is something we’ll never outgrow. 

5. Classic holiday movies
In a world without holiday movies, we may never have known what A Year Without a Santa Claus even means. It would be a bleak Christmas without an appearance from Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, or Jack Frost. Thanks ABC Family for your 25 Days of Christmas with classic and timeless holiday films. 

4. Seeing friends and family 
Winter is the time of year everyone is finally home at the same time. We all put away our busy schedules and make time to see the people who matter. It doesn’t hurt when they come with gifts for us either! 

3. Christmas music
As soon as Thanksgiving ended – and maybe even before then – Christmas music officially became in-season. Whether you love it or (pretend to) hate it, there’s something about Christmas music that really makes us feel like we’re walking in a Winter Wonderland.

2. Winter break
Winter break is one of the best things about college, as well as the winter season. An entire month off from school gives us the chance to really relax. It also gives us a valid reason to forget all of our responsibilities until the second week of January, thank you very much. 

1. The New Year
Whether you rocked the socks off of 2013 or have been counting the days until December 31, the New Year is a celebration for people worldwide. It’s also that rare winter occasion worth freezing our butts off to wear a cute outfit for. Remember, the way you ring in the new year sets the stage for the whole rest of the year, so plan accordingly!

Nicole attends William Paterson University and is majoring in English with a concentration in writing. She is 21 and lives in Livingston, NJ. She loves to read, watch Netflix, and nap as often as she can. She also loves her dog and anything feline-related.
 Di Onne Agnew "chic, comfy, and stylish"