Why I’m Perfectly Happy Being Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

I have something to say: I haven’t dated anyone since I was a sophomore in high school. And that lasted three weeks. We were on and off for awhile, but we never made it official again, hence it doesn’t count as dating.

Of course I’ve gone on dates with people since then. I had a really nice veggie burger during a date my senior year, and I went to the zoo for my birthday the summer after. I’ve gotten fro-yo with a couple people, but nothing ever becomes anything serious, and I can tell you why, too.

I have way too much going on for a boyfriend. I write for two online magazines, I’m a part of the English honor fraternity at my school, I work on the weekends, and I have a substantial amount of homework to do during the week and weekends. I never stop doing homework.

So why would I have time for a boyfriend? I don’t even have time to go on a date at this point in my life. I want to have time to have a boyfriend, if I were to have one. I want to go on dates and hangout at his place, and even study together. But that’s another thing- none of the people I’ve gone on dates with have any ambition. It’s crazy to think that they don’t, but if I date anyone it needs to be someone who has a goal for themselves.

I have plenty of goals, and also plenty of things to do before I accomplish them. So for now, there’s no time for a boyfriend.

I'm studying English and Art at Western Michigan University. I aspire to be an author. I want to move to Australia after college. I love reading, writing, and working out. My favorite artists include Eminem, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Highly Suspect, Modern Baseball, and The Front Bottoms. I currently waitress, but I'm hoping to get an internship next summer for editing. I'm from Paw Paw, a small town about half way between Kalamazoo and South Haven. My favorite season is summer, because that's when my birthday is. 
Johanna is the campus correspondent for the WMU chapter and a senior at Western Michigan University. She is studying journalism and political science. She hopes to spend her life writing and influencing the world around her with her words. A member of the Western Michigan University Marching Band, Johanna has been in love with music for as long as she can remember and tries to balance out her busy life between writing and playing music.