This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

The air is finally crisp, and it rained all day today. I looked outside the window and it was gloomy and dark, and I didn’t have to worry about squinting at the sun. I could almost taste the Pumpkin Spice Cappuccinos that every girl in the nation was currently indulging in. It made me wonder- what makes fall, fall?

It’s the falling of the leaves on the ground. They change colors then float towards the ground, awaiting their death. They know winter is coming, and they wanted to let the world know, too. Fall is the color of the leaves dying.

It’s the crispness of the air when the weather finally- finally- cools off in late October. It’s the rain across campus, and watching every girl bust out her Hunter Rain Boots. It’s clutching a cup of coffee and a lightweight jacket as you trek across campus.

It’s the excitement of planning your Halloween outfits with your friends. It’s making two or three, and wearing them all out that week. It’s getting way too drunk off of cheap alcohol but enjoying the parties you go to anyways. It’s carving pumpkins and drinking apple cider and decorating your apartment for Halloween.

It’s pumpkin patches and apple orchards with your family or significant other. It’s getting donuts from the counter when you’re leaving. It’s haunted houses with all of your friends, and getting muddy or soaked from waiting in line.

It’s wrapping a scarf around your neck and pulling on some boots. It’s Thanksgiving when it hasn’t yet snowed, and the ground is hard.  

It’s the season between sweating your ass off and freezing your ass off. Fall is fall because of all of the little things.

I'm studying English and Art at Western Michigan University. I aspire to be an author. I want to move to Australia after college. I love reading, writing, and working out. My favorite artists include Eminem, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Highly Suspect, Modern Baseball, and The Front Bottoms. I currently waitress, but I'm hoping to get an internship next summer for editing. I'm from Paw Paw, a small town about half way between Kalamazoo and South Haven. My favorite season is summer, because that's when my birthday is. 
Johanna is the campus correspondent for the WMU chapter and a senior at Western Michigan University. She is studying journalism and political science. She hopes to spend her life writing and influencing the world around her with her words. A member of the Western Michigan University Marching Band, Johanna has been in love with music for as long as she can remember and tries to balance out her busy life between writing and playing music.