Western Michigan Hillel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

Name: Bailey Weiss

Year: Junior

Major: Family Studies

Hometown: Highland Park, Illinois

What is Hillel: It is a Jewish organization that includes everyone that wants to learn more about the Jewish community at Western University as well as just hanging out with other Jewish students.

Why did you want to become a member: There is a very small population of Jewish students on campus and I just wanted to meet a few of them and hang out. Coming to school I knew very people and I wanted to meet others so I thought it would be a great way to reach out to those with similar beliefs as my own.

What is your favorite thing about the organization: I really like all the new connections I have made with other Jewish students on campus.

What are some events your organization put on: We have Shabbat dinners on Fridays about once a month. We also hold other activities such as ice skating nights, bowling nights, study parties, movie nights, etc.

What is your role in the organization? I am social media chairman. I post on Instagram, (wmuhillel) as well as publish events on Facebook that I plan out for the organization.

Laura Makarewicz is a senior at Western Michigan University studying Public Relations and Journalism. Laura loves reading, especially HerCampus, working out and dancing to music on her free time. If she isn't dancing you can see her at Starbucks drinking a nice coffee and doing homework. Laura is part of Alpha Omicron PI at WMU. After graduation Laura dreams about traveling the world and finding a great job in a city.