Top Ten Shows On Netflix With A Strong Female That You Should Binge Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

10. Hart of Dixie

© CW PHOTO

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Four

Notable Female Lead: Rachel Bilson

Hart of Dixie has to be one of the cutest shows I’ve ever watched. Rachel Bilson plays Dr. Zoe Hart, who moves to the small town of Bluebell, Alabama after the death of her father. This is your typical “big city girl moves to a small town” show but it’s worth the watch. It’s dramatic and funny and ended way too soon. Plus, there are a couple of cute guys with southern accents featured on the show too ;)

9. Private Practice

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Six

Notable Female Lead: Kate Walsh

This is Shonda Rhimes most underrated show. If you’re a fan of Grey’s Anatomy, you will remember Dr. Addison Montgomery. Addison moves Los Angeles after her messy divorce from Dr. Derek “McDreamy” Shepard to have a fresh start at life. In Los Angeles, she joins a practice and continues to save lives. It’s important to point out that this show is not Grey’s Anatomy. However, there are a couple of crossover episodes and this is also the show that introduced us to Dr. Amelia Shepard. 

8. Shameless

© 2017 Showtime Networks Inc. and Showtime Digital Inc.

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Six and counting

Notable Female Lead: Emmy Rossum

The Gallagher family is one of the most dysfunctional families in television history…and they’re kind of awesome. Fiona (Emmy Rossum), is the big sister to five younger siblings but is more of their mother due to the fact that their dad, Frank is an alcoholic and their mom, Monica left them. Shameless is one of those shows that will have you laughing one minute and crying the next. It’s full of love, hate, sex, crime, drugs, death, and more. After watching a couple of episodes, you will almost want to be part of the Gallagher family.

7. New Girl

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Five and counting

Notable Female Lead: Zoey Deschanel

New Girl is one of those shows that makes you feel good and wish you had a group of friends like Jess does. After an awful break-up with her boyfriend, Jess moves in with three single males and they end of becoming some of her best friends and confidants. Obviously there are relationships and break-ups on the show but the friendship between all of them remains intact. When I first watched New Girl, I had no idea I would laugh as much as I did. The show has so many cute, funny, and quirky moments that you won’t want to stop watching.

6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Two and Counting

Notable Female Lead: Ellie Kemper

Tina Fey blessed us with this hilarious Netflix original about a girl who is rescued from a cult and has to completely start over with her life in New York City. Kimmy Schmidt is truly laugh out loud funny and so is her best friend and roommate Titus Andromedon. The best part of the show is that though Kimmy Schmidt is still learning about the “real world” you can really see yourself in her shoes. This show might not be for everyone but you should at least give it a shot. Also, the opening credits song is super catchy.

5. Ghost Whisperer

© 2017 CBS Interactive.

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Five

Notable Female Lead: Jennifer Love Hewitt

Ghost Whisperer was a show I grew up watching on Friday nights and I still enjoy re-watching it from time to time. Jennifer Love Hewitt plays Melinda Gordon who has the gift of seeing “earth bound spirits” and helps them get closure with their family in order to crossover into the light. Each episode is more exciting than the last. There is never a dull episode and they always have you on the edge of your seat. This is another show that ended way too soon (but I say that about most shows that I like that ended lol). I will be honest though, after the first two seasons, the show starts to go downhill but it is still worth the watch.

4. Pretty Little Liars

© Freeform

Notable Female Leads: Troian Bellisario, Ashely Benson, Lucy Hale, Shay Mitchell, and Sasha Pieterse       

So I totally remember when this show premiered on ABC Family (yeah I know it’s Freeform now but who cares). Everyone was talking about it and it was the show of the summer. After their best friend Alison is murdered, four of her friends, Aria, Spencer, Hannah, and Emily start receiving threating text messages saying that someone is watching them and they know what they all did. This said person(s) always signs their text messages with A (ooh! Scary) I haven’t watched this show since like the third season but sense it is ending soon, I might start watching it again. Maybe we’ll really find out who A is?

3. Ally McBeal

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Five

Notable Female Lead: Calista Flockhart

Ah the 90s!! Ally McBeal was one of those shows I decided to watch because I was bored but I ended up loving it. Ally McBeal is a lawyer who begins working at the firm of her childhood boyfriend…who’s now married DRAMA ALERT!! But there is way more to the show than that LOL. There are many notable characters on the show but Ally McBeal is the main one. The show is dramatic at times but also very funny. The best part of the show is Ally’s dancing baby (her conscience) that appears. Robert Downey Jr. also appeared on the show for a time, so that’s a plus.

2. Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away with Murder

© ABC News Network

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Grey’s Anatomy – 12 and counting, Scandal – five and counting, How to Get Away with Murder – two and counting

Notable Female Leads: Ellen Pompeo, Kerry Washington, and Viola Davis

Okay so I’m cheating with this one but I can’t help it…you can’t just make me choose. These three shows have to be the most addicting television I’ve ever watched. I’m talking nonstop binge watching with every single one of them. I’m not gonna go into detail about what each one is about but they are all worth the watch if you haven’t seen them (and even if you have). I still don’t know how Shonda Rhimes does it but she continues to do so in the most amazing ways.

1. Gilmore Girls

© Netflix, Inc.

Number of Seasons on Netflix: Seven plus the A Year in the Life four-part series

Notable Female Leads: Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel

Yes, Gilmore Girls is my number one pick OBVIOUSLY. This show follows the mother/daughter relationship of Lorelei and Rory in the small town of Stars Hollow. The thing I’ve always liked about this show was how real it was. I also love the fact that it’s a show about the friendship between mother and daughter. I like getting into debates with my friends about who Rory should be with (Team Jess) but the one thing we always agree with on is that Luke and Lorelei belong together. Now be honest, you want to go and watch it now…even if you’ve seen every episode.

Hi!!!  I'm Kaitlyn Sulka, I am a senior at Western Michigan University and I'm studying journalism with a minor in history (Horray for history)!! When I'm not in school, bossing my co-workers around or hanging out with the best dog in the world (yes, my dog is better than yours), you will find me doing basic white girl things like drinking wine (Moscato in case you were all wondering) and watching the Bachelor. I also enjoy kickboxing, yoga, SoulCycling, dancing (no not in the club) and running...so yeah I'm pretty badass. Okay that's all! XOXO, Gossip Girl ;)
I am a senior at Western Michigan University studying all sorts of things. Film, Video, and Media Studies Major with minors in Journalism and English: Rhetoric and Writing Studies. I can basically do it all.. You can normally find me dancing my booty off to live music, yelling at the Detroit Red Wings through the TV screen or trying to be crafty. I like to write. I like to take photographs of nature on my fancy camera. And I like to pet my cat.