Tips for Getting into the Fall/Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

With the fall season finally beginning and the start of October is under way, I’ve put together a few tips to helping you get in the spirit for the season.

1. Decorate your dorm room. Grab some friends, and go shopping! Nothing is more fun than decking out your room in some fall and Halloween decorations. Some décor ideas could be small pumpkins, decorative lights, skeletons, etc. Another fun idea would be to get plastic cups that are Halloween oriented! Many stores are selling cups and plates with pumpkins, ghosts, and other spooky creatures. Surrounding yourself with Fall and Halloween accessories will only boost your spirit.

2. Watch some Fall/Halloween movies. The Hallmark channel has already started their Fall Harvest. Every week they premiere a new fall movie. If you love romantic comedies, Hallmark is definitely the way to go. Another suggestion is throwing it back to Disney Channel’s Halloween favorites. Monstober has begun, which means Disney will be playing all of their beloved Halloween movies, such as Halloweentown, Twitches, and more! Freeform will be starting their 13 Nights of Halloween soon, and they’ll be playing all kinds of movies such as The Addams Family and Hocus Pocus. If you’re really daring, you can watch horror movies; the really scary kind that leave you hiding under your blanket the entire time. Movies are a great way to get into the Halloween spirit!

3. Enjoy some fall activities. There are a variety of activities that you can do to get into the fall spirit. Among those activities, carving pumpkins probably has to be at the top. Go with your family or your friends, pick out some pumpkins, and have a blast carving them together. More activities include eating donuts and drinking apple cider, attempting a corn maze, going on a hay ride, and going to a Haunted House. One of my favorite places to do some of these activities is called Gull Meadows. It has many different fall activities to do; you can pick out pumpkins, attempt a night time corn maze, go down an apple chute (slide), and shoot apple cannons. They also have a cute little store where you can get some Halloween/Fall décor for your dorm room.

4. Go to a Halloween Party. Dress up with some friends and enjoy yourself at a Halloween party. It’s college. Of course, there’s going to be a party somewhere. Forget about your school work for a little bit, dress up, and have a blast! You’re not going to remember staying in and doing your homework, but you will remember that insane Halloween party you went to!

5. Try new fall food recipes. Trying different fall foods and drinks will for sure get you into the spirit. You can make some pumpkin pie, pumpkin seeds, and pumpkin bread. Honestly, if it has the word pumpkin in its name, you’re good to go! If you aren’t the best cook, or if you just don’t feel like baking or cooking, you can always go out and buy some fall food. Be sure to eat some donuts and apple cider, and definitely get a pumpkin spiced latte. Food is always a way to the heart…or I guess the way to Halloween/Fall spirit.

Johanna is the campus correspondent for the WMU chapter and a senior at Western Michigan University. She is studying journalism and political science. She hopes to spend her life writing and influencing the world around her with her words. A member of the Western Michigan University Marching Band, Johanna has been in love with music for as long as she can remember and tries to balance out her busy life between writing and playing music.