Summer Sizzles in Kalamazoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WMU chapter.

In 2011, Western Michigan University students hold the privilege of enduring a summer, which starts no later than Friday, April 29th, and fall classes begin Monday, September 5th. Some students may go home during summer months to spend more time with the family. The students stuck in the hometown usually get a smalltime job, but some just bum around the house all day to enjoy a temporary lack of responsibility for once. Others hang around for the summer to catch up with credit hours or internship opportunities. College towns will never be completely dead in the summer. Students stay in town for reasons outside of academics. An ideal summer in Kalamazoo consists of having an interesting, decent-paying, job (server, bartender, sales representative, secretary, lobbyist, etc.), and plenty of time to spend with friends. It’s a vacation; celebrate it! No matter how much money you make this summer by working your ass off, you need to set some rules and regulations. It’s the time to eat, drink, and be merry all over again. Summer may be a generous platter, but it is not an all-you-can-buffet. If you intend to spend all your free days partying by the pool, and all your free nights partying around a bonfire, then prepare for a 4-month-long headache. Let the holidays and festivals guide you.  

First and foremost, Cinco De Mayo (May 5th) is just around the corner and officially the first summer holiday for college students in Kalamazoo. The Big Burrito, next door to 7-11 on Drake road, offers a bar and gigantic burritos that cost around $8; surely, the place to go if you’re pinching pennies. Unlike The Fat Burrito restaurant by Video Hits Plus, The Big Burrito always stays in business. For the best Mexican cuisine, you don’t have to travel far. In Marshall, just after the Firekeepers Casino exit on 94-East, Oye Amigos provides spectacular, authentic Mexican food. The most popular plate Oye Amigos serves are the enchiladas, which are unlike any enchiladas you’ve had in a restaurant; deliciouso! 

The second Friday in May is the only Friday, the 13th that 2011 has in store. Make it count. The idea behind this seems superstitious and overall, meaningless, but always turns out to be a fun night. Originally, this day is associated with bad luck. From my personal experiences, Friday, the 13th becomes a random, wild time. First of all, Fridays can be the most emancipating days of the week. The risky, eerie concept behind Friday, the 13th makes it like celebrating Halloween without wearing costumes. Get all the girls together, wear the tallest shoes, volume up the hair, and just own the night. Friday nights with The Grotto At Capone’s means 1$ Miller Lite pints, 4$ long island ice teas, and 3$ Washington apples. At Y-Bar every Friday, there are 3$ you-call-its. Wayside’s Fridays, Pint Nights, feature $1 domestic pints, $1.50 Leiny pints, and $4.99 martinis. At Papa Pete’s, located downtown on Burdick street, Friday, the 13th will include a live D.J. performance, The Diggity, hosted by local dubstep D.J., Doctor Dywer. Other pubs, bars, and clubs also provide Friday night specials. Memorial Day weekend brings an opportunity to relax, water-ski, party, or just eat a lot. Feel free to choose all four if you can manage.  

In June, summer starts to really sizzle. Since the late 1980’s, Kalamazoo celebrates world class reggae music with hosting the Kalamazoo Island Festival. Each summer, the Arcadia Creek Festival Place, located downtown, reserves three days and nights for an opportunity to hear live reggae music, drink from local breweries, and eat traditional Jamaican food. Island Fest 2011 falls on June 16th and ends June 18th. Restaurants catering include Jammin’ Jerks, Caribbean Spice, Gorilla Gourmet, Jamaican Dave’s, Jessie’s Jamaican, and Caribbean Cookin’. Local restaurants, also catering, include Sushiya, Shawarma King, TGI Fridays, Big Moe’s, Great Wall Restaurant, and La Mexicana Market. 

The first day of summer is officially Thursday, June 21st, the longest day of the year! Go to the pool, a picnic, or a beach, and enjoy the sunshine until 10 P.M. In the evening, enjoy Thursday specials all over Kalamazoo. Savor mix drink pitchers at Waldo’s Campus Tavern, located near the football stadium, for only $6.25, and burgers for just a dollar. Thursday nights at Wild Bull Saloon, located downtown, become 18+. Will Bull Saloon includes a mechanical bull, and a dancefloor to entertain guests. Thursdays at Bilbo’s Pizza in a Pan, located by Buffalo Wild Wings on Stadium drive, highlights Ladies Night with half-priced drinks! Monaco Bay Piano Bar and Grill, located downtown, provides a change of scenery. Fine wines, swanky meals, and $3 you-call-its until close on Thursdays. Just above, Sky Deck’s Thursday specials include $3 wells, and $3 domestic draughts. The warm summer night always intensify the Sky Deck scence. For the fourth of July, get to the water! Michigan’s Great Lakes make Independence Day a wet and wild bash. Visit Torch Lake, located near Traverse City, or venture off to the upper peninsula. Take in the natural air, earth, and water that Michigan has to offer. South Haven, located about a half hour south of Kalamazoo, offers one of the best views of Lake Michigan. One of my old, driver’s education teachers told me, “Remember, kids, just because it’s the fourth doesn’t mean you have to down a fifth.” Wise words, indeed.            

July’s festivities don’t end in Kalamazoo. Every summer since 1985, Arcadia Creek Festival Place reserves itself for the Taste of Kalamazoo. According to the Taste of Kalamazoo’s official website, “More than 30 local restaurants and chefs will offer mouth-watering combinations of ethnic items, family favorites, exotic dishes, and local specialties, attracting and feeding an average of 10,000 people per day in downtown Kalamazoo and totaling 25,000 – 30,000 attendees over the entire weekend.” Taste of Kalamazoo 2011 is July 21 through July 23rd, and provides a music line-up, just like the Island Festival. Featured local restaurants include Zooroona, Not Just An Almond, Mangia Mangia, Blue Dolphin, La Cantina, The Strutt Café, Rasa Ria, Treat Street, and many others. Taste of Kalamazoo provides Kalamazoo’s young residents with an opportunity to experience the city’s culture. 

August creeps by with chilly nights, and back-to-school commercials. Not many holidays, other than religious ones, exist in August. But actually, in 1971, August 26th became women’s equality day. In 2011, women’s equality day falls on a Friday. Have a girls night in or out! We owe it to each other. Think of the roaring 1920s and how women gained the right to vote after years of protesting and sacrifice. Even if you’re just staying in to eat ice cream and watch movies with your best friend, conduct meaningful conversation, plan the future, and embrace your femininity by gaining confidence!  

To celebrate summer, one does not have to drink excessively or even drink at all. Make the most out of summer 2011 by staying active, becoming independent, and meeting new friends. Don’t waste the summer by becoming a pool pirate with baked turkey skin, and rum flavored words. Take the Snooki out of your wardrobe so the dudes don’t think you’re consistently “D.T.F.” Give guys a summer chase and focus on yourself.  

Sources 
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/wed/Womens_Equality_Day_August_26.htm 
http://eventful.com/kalamazoo/venues/papa-petes-/V0-001-000393083-5/even… 
http://www.theblacksheeponline.com 
http://www.thebigburrito.com 
http://www.islandfestkalamazoo.com/ 
http://www.waldoscampustavern.com 
http://www.tasteofkalamazoo.com

Dina Khalil is double majoring in Public Relations, and English with a Creative Writing Emphasis. She began writing for Her Campus WMU in January 2011. During the fall of 2011, Khalil will become the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus WMU. Khalil is a Sigma Tau Delta member, and enjoys writing poetry, exercising, playing video games, traveling, and keeping in touch with family/friends.